18 Revelations

Chongyun gaze at the leaves swirling in his tea as he stirred it while Tartaglia sat across him with a cup of coffee. Tartaglia was staring at Chongyun, but unlike Xingqiu's gape, his was a piercing cold. Chongyun had no other leads to Xingqiu, and since Tartaglia had conveniently showed up in front of him, he might as well follow the trail.

"So, Xingqiu never told you about me?" Tartaglia broke the silence.

Chonygun hesitated, but then recalled his resentment awhile ago at Xingqiu's doorstep. "He never told me anything about his life before he transferred to Guili. In fact, I never knew that he was actually... Sorry, can you remind me how you knew Xingqiu again?"

"My pleasure. Lets see... we both studied at Liyue International School, that's where we met, and that's where we started dating." That word rammed through Chongyun's heart like a sharpened icicle. Xingqiu had dated another boy before, and had never once mentioned it. Another lie to throw at the tall pile of half-truths Xingqiu had told him. Chongyun felt like a fool.

"Y'know, if I could just take a  guess on what you're so hesitant about... I think we both know his little secret. You see, Liyue International hosts some of the brightest and most outstanding students from not just Liyue, but all around Teyvat. Almost everyone knew who everyone else was, and everyone certainly knew Xingqiu was the heir of Feiyun."

Tartaglia knew more about Xingqiu than him. With every passing second, Chongyun felt smaller. He was just a plaything for Xingqiu, a single book on a long, unending shelf, among hundreds of others.

"Wh- why did he leave Liyue International?"

Tartaglia's eyes widened for just a millisecond, and then he put on his porcelain smile again.

"He assaulted me."

Chongyun could see the image of Xingqiu crumble before him. The number of unbelievable truths he had learned about Xingqiu within one day had become too much. He doubted if he even really knew who Xingqiu was anymore.

"Why... why did he do it?"

"Ahah. It's just a big misunderstanding. Believe me, I tried everything to keep the school from expelling him. But... I wish I could have done more..." Tartaglia trailed off and gazed out the window, as if reliving the memory in his mind.

"Why are you looking for him now?"

"Well, he just fell off the radar after that. Naturally, I was worried. I tried to reached him but it's like he just disappeared. I have a feeling you know what that's like, right?"

It was relieving to know that there was one other person, at least, that empathised with his agony. Tears were forming around his eyes again.

"Hey now, don't be like that..." noticing Chongyun's tears, Tartaglia swiped  open a napkin and handed it to Chongyun.

"I'm sorry. I'm a big mess today. But... you won't find him here. He's gone. I have no idea where he is." Chongyun stifled his sniffling.

"There there, it's ok." Tartaglia place his hand on Chongyun's. His touch was just as cold as Chongyun's. "It's been a long day for you, hasn't it? What don't you go back and get some rest? I could give you a ride if you'd like."

"No, it's fine. I don't want to trouble you anymore than this." Chongyun got up and reached into his pocket for some mora.

"Please, drinks are on me. It's the least I could do for dragging you here. Oh, and here's my number. Just call if you want to know more." Tartaglia insisted, and wrote his number on another napkin and passed it to Chongyun. 

Chongyun thanked Tartaglia and left, finding a little solace in the alliance between victims of Xingqiu.

Tartaglia watched Chongyun disappear around the corner of the street. He sipped the last of his coffee and sat there pondering for a moment.

"My goodness, Xingqiu. I'll have to punish you properly for what you did to this beautiful boy."

--------------------

Art by: @mm3_gnsn(Twitter)