21 Reunion

Chongyun failed miserably trying to fall asleep on Wednesday night. It has almost been 3 weeks since he saw Xingqiu, and his body tingled at the thought of the meeting like it was an addiction. He rehearsed his lines over and over, and tried to imagine what Xingqiu would say to him in their second surprise meeting.

Truthfully, Chongyun didn't know if Xingqiu would even want to see him, but he didn't care about that. Xingqiu pulled himself away for reasons Chongyun was only beginning to understand, and he felt he had committed a lover's betrayal for doubting Xingqiu. Chongyun was convinced that Xingqiu still loved him, and he needed this chance to let Xingqiu know he felt the same.

-----------------

Xingqiu clamped the phone between his ear and his shoulder, conversing with Yanfei as he knotted white threads together into a tassel.

"I already got almost half the guilds and merchant societies on board with my plan, it should take another month for me to convince the rest. I just need you to foolproof the contract side of things, in case anyone backs out..." Xingqiu glanced over at the clock on his wall. It was half past one in the afternoon. "Ok I'll call you back later. You're the best, Yanfei." And then he hung up. He called for Xu for a trip to Xiangling's patisserie.

"You're a bit late today, Master." Xu remarked as he drove Xingqiu to his destination.

"I would not even be going if Xiangling didn't request for me to try one of her new recipes again. I suppose I have time for a short visit."

They soon arrived at the patisserie.

"Master, I'll be heading to refuel the car. It will take some time, just call me when you're ready."

"Alright. Don't be too far, I still have much to do."

Xingqiu got out of the car and stepped into Xiangling's shop. The smell vanilla and butter rushed his sense of smell, the imaginary tastes of the baked delicacies made by his dear friend Xiangling were taunting his taste buds. She waved at him from the kitchen area behind the counter.

"Xingqiu! You made it! I was worried that you were too busy."

"Never too busy for you, my liege. So, where's this new masterpiece of yours?"

"I've set aside some, in my office. Come on."

She led him to the white door of her office around the back, and she pushed it opened. Xingqiu stepped in, suddenly noticing a familiar scent, and saw a third person in the room. Light blue eyes, beneath his light blue hair, gazed upon him. Xingqiu trembled.

"I'll give you two a moment alone." Xiangliang quickly stepped out and closed the door.

The two stood quietly for a long time, but it was not for a lost for words. Too much needed to be said, but it was hard to even begin.

"You shouldn't be here, Chongyun."

"Xing. Wait, listen..."

Xing. Xingqiu's heart twisted at the name. How many days had passed? With him dreaming to hear it spoken again.

"I left you for a reason, Chongyun. You being here is not helping me at all."

Xingqiu held back every fiber of his being from crushing Chongyun with a hug. Beholding Chongyun was more than enough for him, but the scent of his true love made him dizzy with intoxication.

"I know, Xingqiu. It took me a long time, but I understand you have your reasons... After I met Tartaglia-"

"What?!" Xingqiu exclaimed and stepped forward, startling Chongyun. "Tartaglia found you? What did he do? What did he do?!"

Chongyun had rarely seen Xingqiu anxious, or lose his composure. Xingqiu's bewildered concern made him feel a love inflating from within. 

"Nothing, Xing. I'm ok." Chongyun held his hand up, stopping Xingqiu from coming closer. "See? I'm ok."

Xingqiu had enough. This was the exact situation he was trying to prevent, but Tartaglia had found Chongyun. He wanted to explain everything, he wanted to tell Chongyun that they would meet again, but his code demanded that he stayed the course. It insisted that the more time Chongyun spent here, the more needless risk Chongyun would be placed in.

"You need to leave now." Xingqiu turned towards the door. If he couldn't get Chongyun to leave, then he would.

"I still love you, Xingqiu. I will wait for you, to bask together forever under the azure sky."

Xingqiu stood unmoving at the door, his hand gripping doorknob so hard as if trying to crush it. Chongyun watched Xingqiu's slender frame shaking from the back. 

Xingqiu turned the knob and walked out of the room and went back to the front of the patisserie.

"So? What do you think about my new recipe?" Xiangling was waiting there. She looked at Xingqiu eagerly.

Xingqiu turned his head up sideways, breaking his gaze from the ground to look at Xiangling.

"It was nice. I look forward to your next one." Xingqiu smiled at her.

He went outside and got into the car. The ride home was quiet, as Xingqiu simply looked out the window. Resting his chin in his palm, he let the beads of tears roll down from his eyes.

"Thank you, Xu."

------------------------

Image edit by: Yours truly