17

Chapter Seventeen

"Elizabeth, calm down, will you? My goodness, if you're always this livid, I doubt you'll be able to reach my age, darling..." My grandmother was sitting on her favorite chair in the casa's receiving area as she talked to my mother. As always, abuela's voice was relaxed, unbothered, and no doubt that it's making my mother's veins pop out even more. She put her on loudspeaker, so she can take a sip of her coffee leisurely.

"Mama! How can I not be livid? Your apo put me and my business partner's daughter in so much shame! So much controversy! Have you even read the articles they wrote about him? About Katherine? What the hell is wrong with him? He won't even answer his phone! I'm his mother!" I could hear her grunt. "I swear to God... that man... he's a pain in my ass, Mama."

Some part of me felt guilty that I've made my mother this angry. I should have reached out to her and explained the situation before the media got the coverage they wanted. Another part of me felt the need to justify the urgency that I felt when I called Kate before I could even explain it to her.

"Eliza, I can understand where all this frustration is coming from. But, you too, have to understand, that people shouldn't be marrying for business. That's wrong! Any other reason that isn't love, is not valid, my dear. You should be happy for him!"

"Happy?" She groaned and I could already picture her in her pinstriped suit, glaring at the wall, as she continued to talk to abuela. "Happy about what? Happy that he's throwing his life away? Happy that he can now go back to jumping from one woman to another? Happy that he gets even more controversy than he has before? Why should I be happy for him, Ma?"

This time, abuela looked concerned about the words my mother let go of, thinking it would hurt me. Why would it? Abuela picked the phone up and placed it near her ear and this time, I can no longer hear my mother's voice, but her words still kept ringing in my ears. I made a mental note to call her tomorrow. I owe her an honest and straightforward explanation, at least.

I wanted to stay longer and eavesdrop further, but from the massive windows, I saw Harvey pulling up in his Wrangler. Maverick stood up inside the car and waved his hand, beckoning for me to join them.

After quickly kissing abuela on the cheek, I marched out and met my two friends who were grinning like hungry coyotes ready to feast on their innocent prey. Plot twist, I'm the prey.

To my left, on the pool-side area, there were over 12 staff who were busy with the arrangements for tonight's surprise party that Abuela still stubbornly refers to as a charity event. Since she seemed really excited about it this morning, I have decided to just go along and feign shock later.

The stage was ready. Black, silver, and white balloons floated on top of the pool. The organizers are setting up about 20 tables and are starting to arrange dinnerware on top.

"The man of the hour!" announced Harvey. "Come on in. Maverick just filled me in on the latest happenings. Apparently, I've missed out on quite a lot."

The three of us are heading to the mall, because I'm planning to get Asheng a little something for tonight.

Maverick transferred to the backseat and I replaced him. "Don't believe anything Mav tells you, he's a liar," I cautioned.

"I am not, you asshole!" He grinned and nudged me.

"So, it's not true that you called off the engagement?"

"Well, it is true..."

"And is it not true that you're seeing this hot chicka we saw when we were at the pool visiting you three weeks ago?" His question made me stop.