26

(ITO NA YUNG EXCITING NA PART NA HINIHINTAY NYO HAHAHAHA)

Chapter Twenty-Six

VANE JASON

              I've always wondered what type of family Asheng grew up in. Because she comes off as a little secretive, I didn't even try to open the topic. But now, knowing that she's a Monteverde, everything suddenly makes sense. The way she carries herself with silent confidence, the way she walks and talks gracefully, and the way she acts with so much poise and elegance. After her confession earlier, I now fully realized why she reacted the way she did during my welcome party. She isn't comfortable of large crowds, not because she's not used to socializing and entertaining guests, but because she fears it'll blow her cover. She fears it will expose her for who she is, and people will start flocking over her, the way they usually do whenever there's a Monteverde around.

              I've once seen a footage online of how Cassidy Monteverde was almost injured when people gathered around her, when all she wanted was to casually shop alone.

              Fame is both a blessing and a curse. And I know that, I've experienced that firsthand.

              As my train of thoughts continued to run, I started to feel my confidence crumbling to tiny bits. For someone like Asheng who grew up with everything her heart could ever desire, what else can someone like me have to offer? She can probably buy the most luxurious cars in the market or purchase any expensive property at an exclusive neighborhood. Hell, with billions at their disposal, she can even buy an entire neighborhood.

              No, damn it. What the hell am I thinking? The pressure is getting to me.

              This is probably why she didn't want a lot of people knowing about her social status. People tend to get intimidated being around people of power. She may be Alexiana Callisto Monteverde to others, but she'll always be Asheng to me. She's the simple girl who smiles and laughs a lot, the girl who always gets along with everyone, and the girl who taught me that living a simple life doesn't mean living less.

              Finding out that she's a Monteverde won't change anything between us.

              But I got to admit... Aaron Monteverde is so fucking scary in person.

He looked like he wanted to tear my body apart, limb by limb. It won't be an easy feat trying to win his approval, but I'll do my best and try my hardest. Because there's no chance that I'll give up on what Asheng and I have. Her father can put me through the hardest challenges he can ever think of, but that won't deter me. When I was nine, my father once told me that the greatest prizes are often won through hard work and a whole lot of dedication. That's my game plan.

              My intentions are pure. So, I have nothing to fear.

              Villa Blanco finally came into view and that put my thoughts into a halt. When the security personnel at the guardhouse saw my car, they opened the gates and I drove right through. I found abuela sitting on one of the front porch chairs, sipping on a freshly squeezed orange juice. Her eyes perked up when she saw me, and she put a hand up to signal me to come towards her and I did. The chair next to her was empty, so I sat down as I let go of an exhausted sigh.

              "Why do you look so... so..." She paused as if to think. This is what happens when you're trilingual. Sometimes, you tend to forget words from a certain language, so you have to quickly shift. "You look so angustiado, nieto. ¿Estás bien?"

              "No, abuela."

              "Tell me. I'm here to listen." She crossed her legs and gave me her full focus.