Chapter 7

At some point Arthur must have drifted off because when he woke up the first thing he saw was a flat, stone ceiling that was considerably lower than the one of the pit he had previously been in. He sat up and looked around. He was in a cell, one of a line and the other cells contained his friends. Leon was in the cell next to his and appeared to be unconscious, Gwaine was in the next cell and was in much the same situation as was Percival who was in the next cell along. His three friends were lying very still on the floor and they were all drained of colour and barely breathing. The only one who seemed to be just sleeping was Merlin who was in the cell at the other end of the line. He was quite far off but even from this distance Arthur could see that his cheeks were their normal colour and he was snoring slightly in his sleep.

“Oh Arthur, what have you got yourself into now”, He muttered’

“What indeed”, said a very familiar voice “Hello dear brother”. Morgana walked towards his cell.

“What happened to them?”, Arthur asked, gesturing to his friends.

“Oh you don’t need to worry about them I have everything under control”, Morgana said.

“I apologise but I don’t find that very reassuring”, Arthur said.

Morgana looked hurt “I’m sorry to hear that”, She said “I only want to catch up with my own dear brother and his friends”. A group of guards entered to corridor and Morgana looked up “It seems our entertainment is ready”, she said and the guards spread out between the cells. Arthur watched them open the cells and wake Merlin.

“Arthur!”, Merlin yelled as he saw his friend.

“Merlin!”, Arthur yelled back but the guards were on him and they dragged him from the cell as he fought to gain his freedom. He was taken to a large hall and thrown into the centre along with Merlin and his unconscious friends.

“What’s going to happen to us Merlin?”, He asked.

“I believe we have to fight some of those cat things that attacked Gwaine”, Merlin said.

“How many?”

“Last time it was 4”

“Four!”

“One each”, Merlin said and before Arthur could answer two swords clattered to their feet along with three wooden ones. Arthur looked up and saw 5 large cats prowling towards him. He grabbed a sword and Merlin did the same and they got ready to protect their friends. It began to dawn on Arthur just how little chance there was that they would all survive this but before he could think it any more the cats launched. He dodged one and sunk his sword into it’s skull. The cat staggered but regained it’s feet. Another cat launched between Arthur and Merlin and straight at Gwaine. There was a yowl and then it fell to the floor, dead with a large wooden splinter in it’s eye. Arthur looked at Gwaine who was now sitting up holding two halves of a wooden sword and smiling at him “Have you ever known me to miss out on a fight?”, He asked as he got to his feet. Arthur thought he heard Merlin mutter something and he turned to see the cat he had injured dead on the floor but he didn’t have long to take it in before the other three cats attacked. Gwaine took down one and so did Arthur, he looked to see if Merlin had done the same but was just in time to see the last cat sink it’s claws into Merlin’s chest. Arthur thrust his sword through the creatures skull and thrust it’s body aside. Gwaine was already at Merlin’s side and Arthur joined him. “He’s bleeding really badly”, Gwaine said. All the colour that had returned to his face had now drained away as he looked at Merlin. Merlin opened his eyes, saw Gwaine and smiled slightly before his face contorted in pain and his body went limp.

“We have to stop the bleeding”, Arthur said, taking off his shirt and using it to bandage Merlin’s chest as best he could and stop the bleeding. His hands were shaking and he was fighting a rising tide of panic as he considered the very real possibility that Merlin would die. Gwaine seemed about to cry and when the guards descended he began yelling and tearing at the men who were trying to take him from Merlin’s side. For a moment he broke through and he rushed to Merlin but there were more guards on him now and they dragged him back to his cell.

Gwaine was thrown to the floor and he watched as the guards threw his friends into theirs. Merlin lay on the floor without moving. It was too much for Gwaine who began hitting the bars with his fist, trying to break through. Eventually he just rested against the bars and let his mind be invaded by the fears that were rising within him. At some point he became aware of a pain spreading from his arm to the rest of his body. He focussed on the pain and willed it to consume his whole being and take him from consciousness into the blackness that awaited him in his dreams but it wouldn’t come. He stood there, leaning on the bars and wished he could make them disappear.

Arthur watched Gwaine attack his cell and felt the tears prick his eyes. He kept reliving that horrible moment when he watched the cat attack Merlin, kept seeing Merlin fall to the ground and watching the blood pool around him. He began chewing his finger in an attempt to stop himself losing the plot.

Percival began to wake up. It didn’t take long for him to take in the situation and his face filled with worry. Even though there were probably hundreds of questions he was burning to ask he had the good grace to keep quiet. Leon came around a short while after. He looked like hell but when he saw Arthur his face lit up slightly “Sire”, he said but when he saw the look on Arthur’s face he looked concerned. “Sire, what’s wrong?”, He asked.

“It’s Merlin”, Arthur said “He was attacked by one of those creatures. It sunk his claws into his chest. I think I slowed the bleeding but I can’t be sure”. Leon took the hint in Arthur’s voice and went quiet.

The cells were horribly silent. Gwaine continued to focus on the pain but it was becoming harder to do so when images of Merlin kept entering his mind and threatening to make him cry.

Suddenly guards entered the corridor and began unlocking Merlin’s cell door. They entered the cell and began to take him away. Gwaine threw himself at his door in an attempt to break out. He yelled at the guards as they took Merlin’s limp body away but all he could do was watch.