Chapter Four

Finishing my story and submitting it to Perry doesn't take long. Once I'm done, I leave the Planet and find an empty alley, then take off for home.

My mom is thrilled when I touch down on the front porch. She hugs me excitedly. "Oh, Clark, we didn't expect to see you so soon. I have your tux ready, but don't think you're getting away without telling me why you need it tonight."

I laugh and nod. "I will, Mom. Where's Dad?"

"In the barn. He'll be back in a minute. Come sit down. I made biscuits."

I kiss her cheek. "Flying back to Kansas is worth it just for your cooking, Mom."

"You're the sweetest son a mother could ask for, Clark."

I sit at the table and grab a biscuit, splitting it so I can slather it with butter and homemade raspberry jam. I grin at my dad as he comes in, claps me on the back, then sits down at the head of the table.

"Good to see you again so soon, son. How's Metropolis?"

I lick my lips nervously. "Good so far, Dad," I answer. "I got the job at the Planet, and I have a date tonight."

My mom gasps and leans over to hug me again. "Is that why you need the tux? Where are you taking a woman that you need a tux?"

"Lex Luthor is throwing a ball tonight," I explain.

"A ball? Well, that should be exciting," my mother continues. "And who is she? I want to know all about her."

I smile. "Her name is Robin Ballard. She's a writer working on a book about investigative reporting, so she's going to shadow me for the next year. She's really smart, and she's sweet, and so, so beautiful. And she's honest, Mom. She's... good. She's been hurt, but she still believes she can be happy."

"Clark, you sound smitten," my mom observes softly. "You want to be the one to make her happy, don't you?"

"I really do, Mom."

"Oh, sweetie. I'm sure you will. You're a wonderful man."

"You are, Clark," my dad echoes sincerely. "But this is a big step. You're never going to be able to have a completely open relationship if you don't tell her your secret, and that's dangerous. I'm already worried enough about you being in Metropolis."

"Oh, Jonathan, I'm sure that telling her isn't on the table yet. Clark knows how big of a decision that is," my mom assures him.

But my dad notices the look on my face and asks me the question I've been dreading. "Have you done anything in Metropolis that could attract attention, Clark?"

I can't lie to my parents. I don't want to, either. They're the only two people in the whole world that I don't have to hide anything from.

"I have, Dad," I confess, "but nobody noticed. I promise."

"It's too risky, Clark," he insists. "I know you want to help people, son. You're a good man, so I understand, but..."

"No, Dad, you don't," I protest quietly. "Because you can't do what I do. I value your opinion, I really do, but it's... it's starting to become too much. I know why I have to hide my powers. I understand the consequences of not doing that. But you're right. If things go well with Robin, and I really want them to, I'll have to tell her eventually. I appreciate what you're saying, Mom, but I don't think it's too early to consider it. I don't want to share my life with someone and have to keep secrets. I don't want to have to lie to the people I love."

My mom grabs my hand and squeezes it tight. "Clark, do you love her?"

I look down at the table. "It's too early to tell, isn't it?"

"I knew the day I met your mother," my dad grunts.

"And I knew too," my mom agrees.

I take a deep breath. It's one thing to keep these thoughts to myself. Admitting them to someone else makes them so much more real.

But I do it. "Then yes, I think I love her. But I'm not sure she's ready to hear that yet."

"Oh, honey," my mom murmurs. "You'll know when it's the right time to tell her."

I frown. "What about kids, Mom? I don't even know if I can have them. What if she wants them?"

I don't want to deprive her of anything. I want to give her everything she's ever wanted.

"Clark, plenty of men and women can't have children," my mom reminds me. "And you know that adoption can work out very well for both the parents and the kids."

"Yeah, it can," I agree, smiling at her.

She reaches over and ruffles my hair. She's definitely made me feel better. She always knows how.

"It's not that I'm not happy for you, Clark," my dad chimes in. "I'm just..."

"Worried, Dad. I know." I sigh. "I need to find a way to use my powers to help people and hide myself so that I can have a normal life. I just don't know how to do it yet. But I'll figure it out. I promise."

"I know you will, son. I just don't want you to get hurt. That's all."

"You better start flying back, Clark, if you want to make it in time for your date," my mom points out.

I stand and hug them both. "I love you, Mom. I love you, Dad. Thanks for the biscuits, and the advice."

"Call us and tell us how it goes, all right?" my mom insists.

"I will. I promise."

My dad puts his hand on my shoulder. "Be careful, Clark."

"I will be, Dad. I swear."

I grab my tux, head out onto the porch, and take off to head back to Metropolis.

I don't have everything quite worked out yet, but I'll get there. For now, my biggest worry is looking presentable for my big date.