Dawn and Grange

Something in me grows uneasy as I near the cabin nestled in the woods on this winding dirt road. It is as if some primitive instinct tucked somewhere into my subconscious has suddenly roared to life though there is nothing about this cabin, by the look or the smell of it, that should alarm me.

                Something inside my mind knows that there are predators that live here. And that dark recess inside my mind is telling me to run from the danger. Run from the death that I will undoubtedly find if I continue……

                I jump down off my restless brown mare. She too is troubled by this place and the feeling of danger it possesses.

                Then suddenly my senses all go on high alert as a terrible snarling fills the air and a black ball of fur is suddenly leaping from the bushes and barreling straight at me.

                “Maggie! Maggie, don’t you dare!” I hear Brie calling out, though she’s still hidden from view. The tiny black pup jumps in the air and collides with my chest, taking me down to the ground and then covering my face in warm wolf kisses.

                Laughing, I scratch behind her ears and Brie enters the clearing then. “I’m sorry, Conleyswifey. She does this every single time you come.”

                “It’s no problem.” I assure the tiny red head as I get to my feed and wipe the dirt from my backside. “I’m just here to interview Grange and Dawn for the readers.”

                Brie looks quite amused as she snaps her fingers at Maggie and the puppy suddenly shifts and becomes a girl. Brie wraps a small blanket around her tiny shoulders. “Get on to the house now, Maggie. Your papa isn’t going to be happy that you ruined that pretty red dress.”

                “Sorry, mama….” Maggie sighs. “But I really scared you that time, didn’t I?” she adds to me and I nodded, though it’s a lie.

                “Yes you certainly did. I nearly shook right out of my boots.” I tell her, lifting one foot and wiggling it around. She giggles loudly and then runs back into the woods toward Brie and Nickolai’s tiny cabin.

                “Grange and Dawn are in the cabin. The boys took Creed to the lake for swimming lessons. Grange wanted to go but Dawn reminded him about the interview…. He’s not looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, if you walk in and see the alpha tied up and gagged on the sofa, you’ll know that Dawn had to resort to drastic measures.”

                I laugh loudly. “He isn’t scared is he?”

                The cabin door opens and Dawn steps out, smiling with amusement. “He is afraid you’re going to ask about his feelings. He says he has none.”

                “Well let’s put him out of his misery then and get this interview started shall we?” I offer and I hear a deep voice, gravelly and probably quite scary if heard by someone who didn’t know the true nature of the man whom it belonged to call out: