Chapter 3

Dinner with a Vampire.

 Kaira opened her eyes slowly, the light in her room was different than it had been earlier. She sat up and stretched, pushing her hair back out of her face gently and looking around. She caught sight of the clock on the cabinet by her bed and she frowned. She had been asleep for hours now and evening was setting in, she was supposed to be joining her Uncle for dinner shortly.

Kaira stood and walked over to her dresser, sitting on the stool. She picked up the hairbrush and began to brush her annoyingly long hair. No matter how she had tried, her hair would never take the dreadlock style the Fairies preferred. It would always cascade down her back, curling softly in a black waterfall.

She must have tossed and turned a lot during her nap because her hair was a mess. She brushed through her long hair one last time and tied it up into a high ponytail, then pushed away from the dresser going through to the bathroom. It was beautifully tiled in black and white, with gold printing. The fixtures were all in gold too, it was all very excessive but appreciated, nonetheless.

The tears she had cried had taken their toll. Her eyes were still red and puffy, and her skin blotchy. She turned on the cold tap cupping her hands beneath the foamy spray. Kaira splashed the water over her cheeks rubbing her face gently, trying to wash away the after-effects of crying. As she dried her face with the black towel hanging beside the sink, she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She looked different somehow, she wrote it off as being tired and emotional. Instead she focused on getting to her Uncle's before classes finished.

With only half an hour to go she had to leave, slipping her shoes back on and shrugging into a light jacket she headed for the door. Kaira picked her phone up off the desk and noticed a set of keys she hadn't seen before; she was confused for a minute before she realised Luther must have left them there for her. She picked them up and put them in her pocket last minute.

As Kaira shut her door behind her she heard an odd clunking sound, but she shrugged it off heading back down the hall. When she reached the top of the staircase she stopped in her tracks, she was almost sure that Luther was planning her death. She held the handrail tightly and descended the spiral stairs cautiously. She headed straight down the hall and turned to the door on the right. She remembered they had turned left from this door earlier.

Kaira moved through what she assumed was the living room giving anything that looked even remotely pointed or sharp a wide berth. It was a beautiful room, she couldn't afford to give it any more thought than that though. She headed out the front door and it automatically closed behind her, making the same strange clunking sound as her room door had.

She set off down the pathway, luckily, they were all completely flat and free from obstructions. Walking quickly toward the East building she followed the path, seeing the Dragon statue looming ahead of her. There were lights shining on the grandiose creature now making it seem more formidable than before. The campus was quite peaceful as she walked along, faint chatter still drifting on the breeze and insects buzzing and chirping around her. She enjoyed the walk in the slowly fading light of the day, the warm breeze keeping her company. If she weren't so distracted by the statue and the beauty of the evening, she would have realised there was someone headed toward her.

He was too busy looking at something in his hand to notice that he too was on a collision course. By the time Kaira turned to look ahead it was too late to do anything to prevent it although she gave a strangled shout. He walked right into her at full speed dropping what was in his hand. Kaira lost her balance and fell back onto the path with a hard bump. Luckily, she had put her hands out behind herself to stop her head connecting with the concrete slabs. Thankfully, it was only her rear end that had to suffer the harsh punishment of the pavement.