Rain - Jule (2)

I look down at her as she sleeps. Her chest ascending then falling with every breath. I want to remember this night forever. This night is supposed to be our last. It’s hard to think of her as the little girl I once knew. How simple life was when we were both kids. How she looked up at me. How she told me that she loved me. How she told me that she wants to marry. Now she’s all grown up now. It’s time to turn her dream to reality. Reality won’t ever come to her though.

Her brown hair covers most of her face and I can’t help but smile. As I brush some off of her face my stomach grumbles. I look outside my window to see the view. It looks as though the sun will set in an hour or two. I turn back to her and I cover her sleeping body with a blanket. I get up off the bed, careful not to wake her and put on some clothes. I close the window curtains and then leave my bedroom. I close the door gently behind me stealing one last look at her peaceful face.

            I listen to the floorboards as they creek with my every step. I go downstairs and walk into the kitchen. I fill a kettle with water and place it on the stove. I remember Ash telling me to buy this clear one. She thought it was cool. I can’t help smiling to myself. I watch as the water begins to bubble. Ash. I remember the first time I heard about her, when my parents were talking about her. They were arguing over who she should be with. Casper or me. Good thing I’m older.

            Then I remember meeting her. The kind act she showed me, even as a young child. Love at first sight? Maybe. It was drilled into since I was longer that love is a feeble emotion. I should have no space for it in my being. Looks like mother was right. Power is what I want. Power is what we need. She will bring great power to our clan in due time. I shall make her mine. I smile to myself thinking about it.

            The kettle whistles and breaks me out of my reverie. I turn it off and pour myself a cup of tea. I wish my life would go back to the old days. When things weren’t so complicated. When everyone and everything was good and pure.