Chapter 28

Tubbo gets scared of a thunder storm
A few days after the last chapter

Tubbo yelped as a loud clap of thunder rang through the house.
Lighting flashed outside the window and the child immediately shuffles himself frantically away from the glass, panic overtaking him.

Another boom shot through his soul and he scrambled for his plush, whimpering for Phil, momma, anyone.
Tubbo screamed at the deafening sound, curling up tighter.

Phil had woken up to the sound of the storm and wasn't able to get himself back to sleep, so he went for a glass of water.
Passing by Tubbo's room, he heard a scream at the same time as another bang rang throughout the house.

Phil stopped and stood outside the door, pressing his ear to the door to listen in on the child.
Another whimper was heard at a new strike of light burst outside.
Phil knocked softly on the door, hearing a soft gasp from the other side before Tubbo's bare feet were heard running across the wooden floor to open the door.

Doe eyes blinked up at Phil and the man scooped him up and hugged him close.
Tubbo let out a sob when another crack of thunder rang out, burying his face in Phil's neck and shaking.

Phil took the kid back into his room, sitting down with him on the arm chair at the foot of the bed.
Tubbo squeezed his bee plush tight, suffocating it and he snuggled tighter into Phil, tears rolling down his face.

The storm lasted for a while, but Phil makes it all feel better. Tubbo wonders why he didn't feel that way when momma comforted him.
"You're fine Tubbo."
Tubbo knew he should be grateful she comforted him at all. He was such a screw up, he couldn't do anything right but she still comforted him.

But this is different, Phil makes him feel better even tho he doesn't deserve it.
"You're okay, you are safe with me."
"It can't hurt you, I won't let anything or anyone hurt you."
A warm, fuzzy, feeling spread through the child's body and he snuggled Phil before another thunder strike split the cool night air.

The initial fear didn't last long, and it faded quickly. Maybe it was because of Phil, holding him and keeping him safe. Warm, large, yet gentle arms wrapped around Tubbo and brought him a feeling of safety he'd never felt before.

The thunder and lighting calmed down after a while, and Tubbo is far less tense now. Tubbo doesn't know why, but every time he thinks of momma here to comfort him shot a chill up his spin and made a frosty heat bloom deep in his belly.
Phil doesn't tho. The thought of Phil makes him feel safe and the frost in his stomach turns to a pleasant warmth.

Due to being woken up far too early, both were quite tired. Phil managed to keep his eyes open, but Tubbo is nearly passed out in the man's arms.
Phil sees this and stood gently, the kid koala hugging him with he bee plush still in his arms.

Phil thought Tubbo was asleep as he tucked him into the yellow and black stripped comforter, kissing him on the forehead, "Goodnight little honey bee."
Phil cooed affectionately, coming up with a new nickname on the spot and smiles at the angelic sight.

Fluffy brown hair spread across the pillow and tucked into the sheets with his head and the pushes own barley sticking put of the sheets, voice near inaudible when he spoke next.
"G'night papa."
Phil felt a warm feeling spread across his entire body and he smiles at the name, making sure the child was actually asleep this time before closing the door.

Outside the door, Phil pressed himself to the wood and felt a happy tear slide down his face.
Returning to what he originally intended to do, Phil headed downstairs to get that glass of water.
He wasn't expecting to find Wilbur down there, sprawled out across the couch.

Wilbur wasn't expecting it either, and goddammit Phil had looked so much like her when he stood at the top of the stairs in the darkness.
Brown eyes flash with fear and Wilbur flinched at the sight before calming himself, reminding himself that it was just Phil.

It's just Phil.
Phil is safe, he's here and he'll protect us.
He promised. He's never broken a promise, he won't now.  Breath.
Wilbur does just that, sucking in a breath to keep himself grounded and reminded himself that Phil wouldn't punish him. If he did something to warrant punishment, it never hurt.

"Mate, why you up?" Phil slurred with near exhaustion. Wilbur bounced his leg slightly and gathered the cougar to look the man in the eye, "Just couldn't sleep. Sorry."

Phil shook his head, "Don't be. I couldn't sleep either."
Phil went to go make the two a snack in the kitchen as Wilbur came down from the adrenaline high.

It was only eye contact, but it took so much out of him just to do that.
Eye contact had always made him nervous, two pairs of the window to the soul staring into each other, the other eyes always seemed to hold anger and contempt, burning a hole into his very soul.

But with Phil, the silver eyes only ever held love and care laced with a tenderness only a father could show to their child.
Wilbur had never once seen the disturbingly familiar hate and anger in those eyes, never.
It felt nice.

Phil came back with a small snack and they ate in silence, and the food seems to put the teen to sleep.
Wilbur rests his head on Phil's shoulder, and he's glad the man lets him. The warmth brings a sort of comfort to him that he couldn't describe.

When they're both done Phil can't bring himself to move right away.
He sat there for a while, just admiring his son, how much he loved that boy like he'd know the boy their whole lives.

Unfortunately he has to get up sometime and lifts the boy to take him to bed.
Heading back down the hall, he checks that Techno and Tommy are still asleep. Thankfully, Tommy and Techno sleep like the dead and Phil cleaned up the dishes.

Finally, after he finishes doing the dishes as quietly as he could he could let himself fall asleep.