Chapter Twenty-five: Keys

***Author's Note: So according to my timeline, the story is getting close to wrapping up at this point. I'm kind of sad to be writing these last few chapters but at the same time, I'm really excited to be able to say I've written a thing! Plus I've actually been looking forward to writing this chapter for ages. :3 Thanks again to everyone who reads and interacts!

ALSO I had to sit for a stupidly long time on google to learn the basics of piano tuning/piano playing for this chapter and I still don't fully understand it, so tbh I'm just praying none of the people reading this know anything about pianos either and if you do then I am very very sorry
¯\_༼ ಥ ‿ ಥ ༽_/¯***

"You're looking for a what?"

"A piano. The castle must have one somewhere, surely?" you implore.

Bela's brow furrows as she considers.

"There is one that I know of. Though I highly doubt it even works," she says finally, her voice low and chittering.

Your eyes light up.

Bela leads you through unfamiliar corridors to a doorway which feels tucked away from the main rooms within the castle.

"It's in here, I think," she murmurs.

You try the handle and find it's well and truly locked.

Crap.

"Mother says she lost the key to this room years ago. She hasn't had a need to access it, so it stayed shut," Bela shrugs.

You bite your lip, feeling disheartened.

"What are we going to -"

Before you can finish, Bela vanishes in a plume of buzzing shadow and smoke. A moment later, you hear a lock turning from the other side of the heavy doorway.

"Oh - duh," you mutter to yourself.

You watch as the door creaks open, revealing the cloaked woman who grins at you smugly, before stepping aside to allow you to join her across the threshold.

Your mouth opens in surprise. You had expected a small practice room, perhaps. Maybe even a bar area complete with a piano for soft background music. To your surprise, you see a fully decked-out opera hall, complete with a stage, seating, balconies and, in the centre, a beautiful grand piano, adorned in intricate gold rococo detail.

As soon as your eyes lock onto it you quickly dismiss the grandeur of the abandoned room, now only intent on appraising your find.

You race over to it, overjoyed with the discovery. Bela follows, buzzing behind you, half dispersing into smoke in order to keep up.

You stand before the instrument, your stomach filling with butterflies as you raise a tentative finger to the ivory keys, ready to hear their soft notes.

You press one down and wince. It's horribly off-key.

"Is it supposed to sound like that?" Bela hisses, her teeth bared in response to the jarring noise.

You shake your head.

"I think that maybe it just needs tuning? I'm not sure. I don't really know anything about pianos," you mutter, stepping back from the great thing and folding your arms in front of you.

Bela fixes you with an incredulous look.

"So, what are we doing here then?"

You run your hands through your hair contemplatively, as you consider what can be done.