Part Thirty-Nine

The Means to an End

August 2041

Sister Caris did not think about her old alter ego, Susie Johnson, anymore. She did not exist anymore. Not even in the dark recesses of her mind, late at night in her sleeping gown, which was the only place she ever felt safe enough to think about anything other than earning God's love. She lived one moment at a time. Her mind was more usually full of God, or work, and her eyes always watched the keepers, as she did her best to avoid their cruel encouragements to do more. In the Cathedral, she joined the usual procession up the main aisle, heading for what they called the cellars, beneath the main seating areas, where the nuns would pray for hours, visible to anyone visiting the Cathedral through the grills set in the floor. It was the usual routine. She had completed a hard shift at the hospital, and then returned for a shower and a quick feed before heading off for prayers. She had no idea what time it was although it was light outside. Time had no meaning to her at all anymore. She was either in her sleeping gown, working or praying with a little domestic abuse in-between.

Pastor Nigel Brown looked up and watched the Sisters marching past him, preparing to read the afternoon service. It would be his first one in the Cathedral, following his promotion to a position as an assistant to Bishop Osborne. It was a big promotion, a proper reward for all his efforts, but he had to admit he would miss running his own parish a little. However, his new job came with a fine house on the other side of the river, near the hospital, where he would be one of the chaplains, and he knew that his family would benefit from living in Meadvale, whilst also being much nearer to his aging parents. He also knew it was his big chance to shine. He would meet all of the Bishops, not just Osborne and Michael Winstanley of course, and he would have many chances to impress.

Brogan had a seat near the altar. She had not intended to stay for the service, but she was in the mood, and Miss Derbyshire had taken India home, leaving her in peace. She would be collected, of course. She had watched the guardian point her out to the security guard at the doors, as if she was likely to attempt an escape. It rather amused her. She wondered how far she could actually get, encumbered by her clothes, without the use of her hands and silenced by her muzzle. The first policeman who saw her would probably check her FID, by scanning her location chip, and that would be that, so Miss Derbyshire's attention to detail really seemed a little extreme. She had nowhere to run to in any case. Nowhere to go. Meadvale was her home. It was not a pleasant thought, but it was still true. Her family were there. The world she knew was going or already gone.

Lucy Slade took Hermione's arm as they strolled towards the door. Miss Lewis would be waiting for them outside, and Lucy did not want to leave in the middle of a service. She was in the habit of praying and, being so close, the Cathedral was an ideal morning walk for her and her stepdaughter. Hermione was such a lovely girl, and Lucy was already fond of her and delighted with her husband, who had been unfailingly patient, kind and attentive. She had fallen on her feet, for sure. Even the guardian was gentle and encouraging to both of her charges. She was close to her own family, and able to see them regularly, and she was as happy as any woman had any right to be. The promises made to her at the start of her National Service had all come true. She was living happily in God's love.

۩

Charlotte Sullivan did not even know if Miss Carpenter was still there. Holding herself very still, despite her aching muscles, she tried to concentrate on her lessons. She knew she would have to answer questions on them later. Endless questions, and all her mistakes would be punished with the paddle. Her breath hot beneath her blinding mantle, she started thinking about her old life. She knew she had it very easy back then, with Dee pretending to be her guardian, before her father went insane. But her mother was just as bad, sometimes. She was like an ice queen, Charlotte thought, since Christmas, since her father went quite mad, her mother had become distant and cold towards everyone. It was all so horrible. How could they do this to her? How could Dee just abandon her? How could her mother just sit there and let her father do it to them?