The Birth of a Monster

"What does the Lord Silas and Cronan have in common?" Asked Velvela breaking the hanging silence.

Cronan looked up, startled at hearing his name. The physician also turned to the young maid. They all stood about Silas's bed, tending to the unconscious man. Velvela sat by his side dabbing his feverish heated brow with a cold cloth, while the physician applied more ointment to the spreading rash. Cronan stood by to change the water and run errands. No one had spoken during this time, so Velvela's voice had surprised them all.

The physician spoke first. "They are both men."

"Yes" agreed Velvela, wringing out the cloth with fresh water. "But so are you who also touched the water while testing it. The late queen was not a man, but you say she showed the same symptoms as the late king. So, what is yet another likeness?"

The physician was thoughtful for a moment. "They all have Runen blood?"

"Wrong again. They were all of Runen blood, so why would Silas and Cronan react so severely?"

"Age?" Asked Cronan curiously.

Velvela shook her again. "No, not age. But another kind of blood." Seeing the others questioning frowns, she elaborated. "Xelian blood. Everyone knows that Easterns are direct descendants of the Xelians. And as for Cronan, he knows himself as of Dune and Yahaki blood. Dune are just Runens and you can see that race in Cronan, as well as his Yahaki blood, by his facial features and skin. But white hair? His almond eyes? No, that is an Xelian feature. It is not strong, but it is there all the same. Xelians are a sensitive race. It makes them more powerful than other races, but is also their downfall."

The physician frowned. "A poison that only an Xelian can sense?"

Velvela nodded. "An Xelian or any other race of heightened sense. It is simple. A scentless tastless poison that kills slowly. But to an Xelian, Hadi, or Kryn with their heightened senses, they feel and taste it. But in turn, they will feel the effects almost immediately."

"So was it in the food and drink all along?" Asked the physician in horror.

"I doubt it" replied Velvela. "If he was taken it orally, it would have worked faster. I think they made him absorb it through the skin so his death was much slower and more painful." She paused. "I will report it to the princess. She has to know."

                                                                                  *      *      *      *      *

Rosalina stared down at the girl bowed before her. Her heart was thumping within her chest, and she held her hands tightly together, trying to suppress the trembling. She was scared. Scared for her life and what might come.

"My father was truly murdered then?" she asked.

Velvela nodded. "Yes. Your Royal Highness. The prince's condition is proof enough of that. The physician has also gone through all the old records and studied them closely. It is indeed probable the late queen suffered the same fate." She paused, biting her lip nervously, before continuing. "Your Royal Highness, I know this is not in my place, but the coronation must go ahead. You can not wait for the engagement."

Rosalina's eyes flashed. "I have no doubt you desire that. You want the marriage to be haltered for as long as possible."

Velvela shook her head. "Think what you will, princess. But my master is an honourable man. And I desire nothing more that to follow his will." She arose and bowed. "I will leave you. But know you are not alone."

Rosalina watched as the young girl left. Then turning to a maid, she bade her fetch the council. For Velvela was right. Against their tradition, Rosalina needed to be crowned queen without a husband by her side. The council would protest, but with Silas in a coma state, they had no argument that could prevail. The people needed a ruler.