Chapter 2

WELCOME TO WONDERLAND

I walk through the gates, still convinced I'm dreaming. As I step on further, surrounded by small houses, I start to see people. There are people selling their goods, probably a farmer's market. It's now sunny and warm, cobblestone streets dry and sparkling.

I pass some people and look at the goods being sold. There are a lot of things like vegetables, fruits, cheese, bread, meat. Looking at all of that makes me kind of hungry, but I lay low. I don't want to draw attention just yet, because I have still no idea where exactly I am.

So I understand it's a town called Wonderland. And it's a small agricultural community and honestly it's pretty sweet. The houses are small and colorful, people are all busy doing their own things that nobody doesn't even look at me.

But something feels off. About the people. And then I understand what - the clothes have no logos or patterns on them. They are normal clothes, but that's where it ends. It' pretty weird, but not alarming.

When I get to a corner of a very narrow street, suddenly somebody yanks me by my arm and I don't even know what's going on, but then I'm dragged behind some wooden carts stacked on top of eachother.

Someone is behind me who is holding their hand on my mouth and the other one wrapped around me so I can't move. They sit us down, me between their legs.

I try to scream, but of course I can't. I'm shocked so I don't even get my body to move to try to wiggle my way out of their grasp.

So, this is it. This is how I get raped and murdered. It's not a dream. It's so very real.

"I'm not gonna do anything to you, if you don't freak out," a voice of a male says behind me, just by my ear. I look at his legs and I can confirm it's a man. His legs are skinny and long, wrapped in black pants and dark brown ankle boots.

I'm quiet and calm. I don't move. I don't breathe. I just exist in his arms.

"You got it? I just want to talk," he says and I try to nod.

He takes his hand off my mouth and then releases me from his grasp entirely. I immidiately crawl away from him, the stones hurting my knees, but I don't care. My legs and whole body are weak from the shock. So I just stay down, but turn around to face the man.

"What the hell!" I yell and then wipe my mouth, trying to get rid of the feeling of his hand.

I'm greeted by green eyes and dark brown messy hair. He is younger than I thought. But I feel disgusted by him. He really tried to kidnap me.

My heart is beating faster than humanly possible and my breaths are short and fast.

"Okay, I'm sorry about that, but you need to listen to me," he says, sitting there, his voice quiet.

"What?" I ask, my voice shaky. Honestly, I just want to go home. I'd rather be at my house and fight my brother than here.

"First, you can't tell people that you're not from here, okay? Second-" he explains, but I shake my head.

"What do you mean? Why?" I ask, confused.

"This place is not good. No foreigners are allowed. They will chop your head off, if they found out you don't have wonderblood-"

"A what? Is this a joke?" I'm honestly more mad than scared now.

"No! It's not! Don't you understand? I'm trying to help you." His expression gets a little bit softer saying the last sentence.

"I don't understand," I whisper.

The man runs his fingers through his hair, closing his eyes and letting out a loud breath. Then he looks at me again, his green eyes flashing at me.

"My name is Finley. I'm 24. I live here. This is called Wonderland. And I need to get out of here."

* * *

I hate myself.

I'm sitting in Finley's living room, swallowed into a beige couch. He is sitting opposite of me in a matching armchair. I notice that his shirt is almost the same color. It's a slong sleeve button up, made from some thick material. Buttoned all the way up.

I really don't know how or why I agreed go to his house, but he said it's the only place we can talk. Atleast he is offering me tea.

"Look, I don't like this either," he says, pouring greenish liquid into my cup. Then he sits back.

"Don't like what?" I ask, stirring the tea. I usually like to add some kind of sweetner, but there is none on the table so I'm not going to ask either.

"You."

I stay quiet. Not knowing what to say is getting to my head. I've taken various insults from Henry, but hearing something like that from a stranger is different.

"I mean, I see you don't like me, so I don't like you either. But let's look past that. I really need your help." His voice is calm and collected, but there's a note of desperation in it. I look around his living room, which is nothing special, but there is no TV.

"So you insult me to my face and then you want me to help you?" I sip my tea. It's hot. And tastes horrible.

"What's your name?" He completely ignores my question. But since he told me his name, I can tell him mine.

"My name is Harriet. I'm 20," I almost copy him, remembering when he tried to kidnap me.

"Okay."

He doesn't say anything else. But he is observing me. And I don't like it. So I observe him back. His hair is messy. I'm guessing he doesn't do anything do it. If I squint my eyes it's almost black. His nose is quite big and sharp. His lips are...I don't know, normal? There's nothing special about them.

If I'd meet him in a store back in my town, I think I could even like him. He isn't ugly, but I can't really focus on his looks if he's acting like a dick.

"So...?" I ask when he still hasn't said anything.

"I need to tell you everything, don't I?"  He rubs his chin and smirks a little. But it's not a funny or sexual smirk. It's a smirk filled with realisation and tiredness. "Well, Harriet, get ready."