Chapter 3

"This place is called Wonderland. It's supposed to be perfect - no troubles or problems, just happy things. But I know things others don't."

"Like what?"

"I'm getting to it. Anyway, Wonderland is ruled by The King, he is our leader, so to say. A true wonderblood-"

I snort. "That sounds so stupid."

Finley gives me a look, but continues. "Everything is decided by The King. He lives on the main square."

"So, is his name "The King" or does he have an actual name like normal people?" I ask.

Finley points his finger at me. "You know, this sassy attitude isn't sitting well with me. So just drop that."

I shrug. That's just the way I am. And I'm not gonna change because some Finley from Wonderland told me to.

"His name is William One."

"William what?" I raise my brows. That's a weird last name. My father's name was also William. Exactly, was. He's dead.

"Everybody has a first name, but the last name is a number. People who are related have the same number. It works just like a normal family name. I am Finley Fifty-Two."

"Do you write it out or is it just numbers...?" I tilt my chin forwards, mocking him.

"Will you just stop that? It's getting on my nerves," he says quite harshly, leaning forward and putting his elbows on his knees.

I scoff. "Well, you know that I don't have to sit here and listen to you, right? I can just go home so I think you're the one who should quit being an asshole."

"I'm not sure you can go back," he says, now calmly.

I feel my heart starting to beat a little faster. "Um, what do you mean?"

"I'm not sure how you even got here. You shouldn't, because you don't have wonderblood. That's what we need to figure out." He gets up and walks to a slim but tall book case. He takes a brown leather notebook from there.

"This," he waves the notebook,"is everything I have collected over the years. Information about Wonderland, everything I know about getting in and out. Which isn't a lot." He sits back down.

"I'm not sure I follow. So, you're telling me I can't go back home?" I ask, kind of nervously.

"I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Tell me how you got here."

I put the cup on table, not wanting to eat or drink anything anymore. "Um, I turned to a forest road, then I drove awhile. I got out of my car, took a few steps and then everything was spinning. Suddenly, it felt like autumn instead of summer. When it stopped, I walked on and then got here. I'm sure it's all either a dream or I'm just going crazy, I haven't decided yet."

"Harriet..." Finley sighs, "you're not dreaming nor going crazy."

I don't say anything. I just don't know how to react. Or what to think. If it's not a dream then what is it?

"You're not a wonderblood, so I don't know how you even managed to get here."

"Wait, how did you know I wasn't a 'wonderblood'?" I make air quotes.

"First, you don't really look like us. You have very light features which is unusual around here. But what gave it away were your eyes. You had that look. I notice everything."

"So you tried to kidnap me?"

"I saved your ass, so you should be thankful. If it wasn't for me, you would be dead by now."

"But how do I get back home?" I ask, hoping he'll have an answer.

"I don't...I don't know." His turns his eyes away from mine.

I try to swallow, but my throat is dry as a desert. "Oh..."

"Look, I can't leave either. That's because I have wonderblood which makes it just impossible to leave. Believe me, I've tried. But there's something nobody knows about me. You have to promise to not tell anyone or it's over for the both us, okay?"

"I promise," I say quietly, looking at him.

"I'm a half-wonderblood. I got here when I was 12. I've been outside, you know? But... I don't exactly remember getting here. One day I was living in my hometown and the next, I woke up here. I don't know where my mom is. I woke up here, in this house, and there was a man, who I now call dad. He told me to keep quiet about not being from here. It's very confusing and complicated, but it can't go on much longer."

"Where's your dad now?"

"Probably getting food."

"He lives here too?"

He nods.

"I don't understand anything," I say. It's true. I really don't know what the hell he's talking about.

Finley sighs. "All I need from you is to figure out how to get out. Because you're not a wonderblood, but somehow you're here."

I nod. "Well, what are we gonna do now?"

"You're not taking this seriously, are you?"

"But it's all so stupid! There's no way this is all real! I'm going home." I accidentally on purpose lash out at him. Yes, I was confused and scared, but I was also mad. Here is this guy sitting across from me talking about some magic blood and unrealistic world.

I stand up and try to find my way to the front door, but Finley grabs my arm.

"You can't go."

I try to shake his hand away, but he is not letting go. "Don't touch me!" I say angrily.

He tightens his grip even more and then pulls me close to him. He bends down, his face centimeters from mine. "Listen, don't fuck this up. I know you might not understand all of it right now, but if you walk out of that door right now, you're dead. Got it?" He spits in my face.

I press my lips tightly together from anger before speaking. "Take. Your. Dirty. Hand. Off. Me."

"Are you stupid?"

I blink. "What?"

"Are you so stupid to think that I'm lying? Can you take that chance? To go try to find your way home on your own right now, huh?"

I want to back off so bad, but he won't let me. "You're hurting me." It comes out almost a whisper, bit there's still anger in my voice.

"I don't care."

"What do you want from me?" I'm starting to get desperate.

"I want to you to help me."

"How?!"

"We'll figure it out."