ANGIE BORJESSON

Annie Borjesson, 30 year old Swedish native, was found dead, facedown on the shore of Prestwick Beach on December 4, 2005. How she got there has baffled her family and those interested in the case for nearly fifteen years since her body was discovered.

Annie was born in Sweden in 1975. Her friends describe her as a kind woman who treated everyone fairly. She secured a heritage scholarship to study abroad in Edinburg, Scotland in 2004 where she was to study English. She shared a quaint apartment with other girls her age.

In early 2005, Annie scholarship reached its final term, resigning her to return to her hometown in Sweden. It is reported that Annie was anxious to return to Edinburgh given the opportunity. It wasnt long before she was able to save the funds to return. In October of 2005, just six to eight weeks before her death, she moved back to beloved Edinburgh. Annie was known to occasionally visit a popular nightclub in Edinburgh called Mood. Annie knew how to have fun, but also recognized the fine line between fun and recklessness. She drank sporadically, but never enough to lose control.

It was at club Mood where Annie met Martin Leslie, rather, someone pretending to be New Zealand native and international rugby player Martin Leslie. It was later discovered that the real Martin Leslie was not even in Scotland at the time. It is reported that Martin was taken to Annie immediately, eager to secure her attention with his offer of a glass of champagne and a quiet place to talk. Annie declined his drink, but did spare several hours that night chatting with the acclaimed rugby star, a sport Annie loved. It is unknown whether Annie had further contact with Martin, but friends report that he did occasionally show up at the local pool Annie frequented.

The day before Annies death things start to get blurry.

Prior to her death, Annie made an appointment with her trusted hairdresser for Monday December 5th, 2005, though she didnt make it known to her family that she was definitely returning home. Annie was independent and behaved as such. On Saturday December 3rd, 2005, Annies Swedish credit card company reported two failed transactions at Glasgow Central Station, one for $100, the next for $50. Both were unsuccessful due to insufficient funds. This put Annie at Glasgow Central Station at approximately 2:15pm Saturday afternoon. Exactly one hour later, Annie is spotted on CCTV making her way swiftly through the walkway connecting the railway station and airport at Prestwick Airport, 35 miles away. Exactly how Annie arrived at the airport is unknown though it is assumed she took a train from Glasgow Central Station. No CCTV footage or credit card transaction has ever confirmed this. Annie was known to carry cash in her Filofax, a popular wallet sized organizer.

After her 3:15pm arrival at Prestwick Airport, Annie is captured on CCTV footage again entering the parking lot at Prestwick airport, possibly looking for another cash machine though the lot only had ticketing machines. Annie spends exactly three minutes in the parking lot before hurriedly exiting through the walkway again. It is possible Annie was at the airport to catch a 6:30pm flight to Gothenburg but there is no evidence she purchased a ticket nor did the airport have any such record. There is also a chance she planned to purchase a standby ticket and changed her mind. For whatever reason, Annie is seen leaving the Prestwick Airport at 3:19pm. Scottish authorities say from there Annie headed towards the town of Prestwick. It is unknown if Annie had any prior knowledge of the town.

Annies next sighting and possibly the last is at approximately 4:30pm by a local out for a walk who reports he saw a woman matching Annies description standing by Prestwick Beach.

At 8:30am the next day, Sunday December 4th, 2005, a man walking his dog along the same beach stumbled upon 30 year old Annies body, face-down and fully clothed. Next to her was her black travel bag, inside was her passport, clothes, and books belonging to a Swedish library. Scottish authorities immediately treated Annies case as an unfortunate suicide. Her body was transported, the scene unpreserved, to a Scottish medical examiners office for a post-mortem examination. Annies body was noted as heavily contaminated by sand and seaweed. Her lungs and air passages showed signs of congestion and froth, common in victims of drowning.

Her family immediately denounced the idea Annie had committed suicide. All of their requests for more details were denied under unusual circumstances. Almost immediately Annies case was classified as secret, under the justification that releasing her case files would jeopardize information pertaining to Swedens relations to foreign entities. Her case files were later released one year later to the family, however almost all of the information was redacted, even Annies cause of death.

Annies body was returned to Sweden where she was prepared for burial. The undertaker was shocked at the amount of bruising found on Annie, noteing palm sized bruising on her right arm, sides, and behind her right ear. This was a stark contrast to Annie autopsy report from her post-mortem examination which detailed only a slight depression, small bruising, and two square bruises on her right arm. The examiner chalked the markings up to hard objects Annies body came into contact with in the sea. Additionally, and most disturbing of all, Annies waist length blonde hair was missing, cut choppy and short.

Swedish and Scottish authorities still refuse to release any further information regarding Annies death, though her family keeps her memory alive. Her mother, Guje, continues to fight to obtain her daughters case files.