A Christmas

"Come on, Hyejin-ie!"
"Yes-yes, hang on... Lemme put on my coat."
"Omo, yes... It's so cold..."

It was Christmas morning. Irene, Seulgi, Joy, Yeri, and I had just arrived at SHSCC for the Christmas service. I assumed that Wendy was already here with Pastor Nathan, and although I was truly excited to join the service, what I found last night made me feel even more curious to meet Wendy's fiancé in person, and possibly talk to him about the incident from last year.

I put on my coat and stepped out of Joy's Jaguar. The cold winter breeze immediately stung my bones, making me shudder. Yeri noticed this and hugged my arm, trying to multiply our body heat. I felt my nipples perking, either from the cold wind or Yeri's touch, I didn't know. I heard her giggling.

"It's so cold, right, Hyejin-ie?" she asked cutely. I giggled and nodded.
"Lucky I have you," I whispered. She slapped my arm adoringly and giggled again. Seulgi and Irene sighed.
"Come on, girls. The faster we get inside, the faster we'll get warmer," Irene said.
"And the faster I'll stop seeing you two doing public displays of affection," completed Seulgi.

We all laughed as we walked from the outdoor parking lot towards the church building. It was a futuristic looking building in the middle of Yeouido Island, and honestly I wouldn't know that it was a church if there wasn't a giant cross on the side of the building.

 It was a futuristic looking building in the middle of Yeouido Island, and honestly I wouldn't know that it was a church if there wasn't a giant cross on the side of the building

As we approached the building, I saw more and more people flocked towards it. Wow. I knew it was Christmas morning, but I'd never expected so many people to join a church service. It almost felt like I was entering an arena for a K-pop concert.

"Wow, has it always been this packed every Sunday?" I asked Joy in a low voice. She chuckled and shook her head.
"Hmmm... There are more people today because it's Christmas, but... Yeah it's always packed," she said.
"The auditorium can host up to 10,000 people, so... Yeah," added Yeri. My eyes widened in surprise.
"Ten thousand?" I asked incredulously. The two girls nodded and smiled.
"Well... Welcome to SHSCC!" Yeri said as we approached the lobby.

A few ushers in uniformed padding jackets greeted us warmly in the reception hall and offered us tea or coffee to warm ourselves. I found myself at a loss of words. This really felt like the reception area before a K-pop concert. Were we really attending a religious event? Irene looked at me and smiled.

"It's amazing, isn't it, Hyejin-ie?" she asked me kindly. I nodded.
"Y–Yeah... I feel like we're about to watch a concert or something," I said honestly. She chuckled and nodded.
"Yeah. That was my reaction the first time I came here too. It doesn't feel like going into a church," she said, flinging her sight around the reception hall. Suddenly, her eyes lit up and she waved excitedly. I followed her eyesight and saw four people waving back.