CHAPTER XVII

D'kala entered the student council office and sat down heavily in his chair, exhaling. He closed his eyes, basking in the serenity of the raindrops pattering outside.

Something's not right.

D'kala's eyes opened as the words floated through his mind, and he instantly identified the source of the thought. The rain sounded... off. Not quite like droplets hitting the school's dome—more like... the skittering of a rodent over a hollow floor.

Another sound interrupted his train of thought—one like sand shifting beneath one's feet.

D'kala sat up straight. The sound had stopped abruptly—and it sounded like it had stopped behind him.

D'kala spun his chair around slowly... and held back a sigh of relief, for standing behind him was Gustav. The Serpian was looking up at the "Student Council" banner, his back to D'kala. "Are you happy now, mein freund?" he asked quietly.

D'kala paused. "Happy?" he repeated.

A low rumble of thunder shook the school.

"Addison is wrapped around your little finger," Gustav said. "You've recruited another gullible fool to your cause."

"He's not a fool for believing something different from you," D'kala stated, lowering his voice.

"He's a fool for believing in your idiotic religion," Gustav hissed.

D'kala sighed. "What are you doing here, Gustav?"

Gustav glanced over his shoulder and then turned around. "I want to know why," he replied angrily. "Why you took from me the first person I ever truly loved!"

"I did nothing of the sort," D'kala shot back, trying to keep an even tone. "He chose—"

"After you brainwashed him!" Gustav said accusingly.

"No!" D'kala snapped. "He made the choice, Gustav! He came to me for guidance!" He poked a finger into Gustav's chest. "Whether you like it or not, the changes happening in Addison's life were the result of his choices—not mine!"

"You—"

"You have to accept him for who he is, just as I did when I first arrived, despite the fact that we disagree with one view or the other—because there is nothing we can do to make him change," D'kala growled, cutting Gustav off. "If he wants to go back to how he used to be, then fine. I'll try to steer him in what I believe to be the right direction, but I won't try to stop him from making his own decisions. Now can I count on you to follow the same philosophy?"

Gustav glared D'kala. D'kala glared back, unflinching.

"I know of one thing he needs, Gustav," D'kala said after a moment of silence. "I've been an advisor—a teacher of sorts. But what I can't be is a brother." His voice dropped to a whisper. "You can be that for him. You know him. And he needs to reestablish his relationship with you."

"A brother?" Gustav repeated incredulously. "You must be joking."

"If I didn't mean it, I would not have said it," D'kala responded. He put his hand on Gustav's shoulder and said, "I know you're hurt, Gustav. But you must forgive him. Forgive him, and move on."

Gustav hesitated, looking both heartbroken and uncertain.

A loud thump sounded from outside, causing both D'kala and Gustav to look up sharply. "What was that?" Gustav asked warily.