28

Violent sobs and uneven breaths filled the shabby hallways as the two boys made their way down the stairs in a haste, knocking over a few old paintings in the process but not stopping to acknowledge it. The smell of mould never left in the first place but somehow Jeno felt as if it intensifed all of a sudden.

It felt way too sruffy and he just wanted to get out.

Fast.

The bruinette remained silent for the whole of their trip down to the main floor, ignoring his best friend's cries and protests. Jeno's grip tightened around the sunkissed male's wrist, afraid if he was to let go, he would lose him.

And he couldn't afford to lose Donghyuck.

Not him.

"Would you shut up for a second?" He snapped, not missing the way Donghyuck flinched at his sharp tone yet it had no effect. The sobs only got louder as they moved further and further away from the boy Donghyuck had grown to love and Jeno had never stopped hating.

"L-Let me go b-back, I need to talk to M-"

Donghyuck's pleading was stopped as he felt himself being pinned against the wall, Jeno's heavy breaths mixing with his own as the two were now ingulfed in darkness. The bruinette looked down at his best friend, nostrils flaring in rage as he stared at his tear stained face.

"Don't fucking say his name, Hyuck."

Jeno growled as his eyes never left Donghyuck's sad ones, his own irises reflecfing the other's pain though it was masked by the thin yet deceitful veil of anger and disgust. It was clear in that moment that the male still had some unfinished emotional business with Mark.

The wound he inflicted on Jeno's soul all those years ago was still fresh.

But Donghyuck was too foolish to see it then.

"Please...", he trailed off before another series of sobs left his mouth, gasping for air as he felt the preassure crumble down on him. The sunkissed male closed his eyes, the tears seeping out to create a river of sorrow on his rosy cheeks.

"Don't take me away from him."

Donghyuck begged, placing his hands on Jeno's chest and grabbing a fistful of the other's thin black shirt. He felt his heart constrict in pain, mind in a constant state of darkness much like the one currently keeping them company in the restricted section of the school which bore no lights.

He knew Jeno had the ability to make Mark disappear. One phone call was all it took to send the beautiful male he loved like no other all the way back to where he came from. His best friend's family was powerful. Rich. Fearless.

Dangerous.

"I better not see you with him again, you understand?"

Jeno barked, glaring down at the younger with utmost anger.

Donghyuck opened his mouth to protest, shaking his head as his grip on the other's shirt tightened.

"I SAID DO YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND?!" Jeno punched the wall next to the boy's head, causing him to let out a muffled scream. The bruinette had noticed how startled the other was, quickly regretting his outburst but not backing down.

It was important the other knew not to mess with Mark.

Jeno sighed, bringing his hand to rest it gently against the boy's cheek. He frowned as he felt his best friend flinch at his touch, allowing him to place it there nonetheless. Donghyuck's skin felt hot against his hand, the fact he was crying finally dawning on him as he felt the tears trickle down his hand.