05ᴺᵒ ˢⁱᵍʰᵗ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟓

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟓

"ᵀʰᵃⁿᵏˢ, ᵇᵘᵗ ᴵ ᵗᵃᵏᵉ ⁱᵗ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ⁿᵒᵗ ᶜᵒᵐⁱⁿᵍ ᵇᵃᶜᵏ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ᵗᵉᵃᵐ."

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

Nightfall, the hours of darkness was the perfect time when Damian Burmans' abilities worked best. Sadly tonight was not one of those nights. He didn't have any reason to go out.

This year he was officially with the ISA but there wasn't really a job for him to do. He didn't mind though, that meant more time for himself.

Damian walked past his sister's room, about to tell her goodnight until suddenly his eyes darkened, only being the color black as mist covered his eyes. He continued to walk forward but without a word and into his own room.

His head tilted as he saw images in his head. It was Brainwave, a bright light. The light was a staff. Just as the shadows showed him the figure that was holding the staff-

Damian blinked his eyes as the mist disappeared. "My shadow?" He furrowed his brows as he stared at the mirror. He tried to connect to his shadows at that location again but the grey mist in his eyes flickered. "That's not good."

At the end of the night, Damian chose not to interfere. It was Brainwave. He was an adult and a long-time member of the ISA. If he wanted help, he would have asked. The was in his suit, it was planned. He didn't get jumped, he was fine.

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

Another day at Blue Valley High.

Damian walked up to the Economics room from being asked to drop some supplies off. He volunteered because it was better to get out than be stuck in the classroom. However, when he arrived, Courtney just opened the door.

"Hey." Courtney looked at him, frightened and surprised. "What are you doing here?"

Damian smiled as he lifted the box, "Dropping this off." His smile slowly dropped as realization went through him. "Are you skipping class?"

Courtney tried her best to hide the classroom window from his vision. "No."

Damian stared at her, not knowing why she lied because she obviously was skipping. "Ok. Well-" He motioned the box forward. "I still have to drop this off."

"Right." Courtney quickly responded as she looked at the box. "I can take that for you."

Damian held onto the box as she held the other side of the box. He looked at her hands and then at her with suspicion. "It's okay. I'm already here."

"No. Really. It's fine." Courtney forced a smile.

Damian lightly chuckled at her eagerness. He let go of the box and once he saw her get relieved, he quickly moved his head to the side and saw the mess in the classroom. All the machines were broken. His jaw slowly opened, "Did you do that?"

"I can explain." Courtney quickly spoke as her eyes widened, not expecting him to do that. "It was already like that when I got here."

Damian could only laugh now. "That's not explaining. Are they all broken? How?" He saw the nervous look written all over her face. "Courtney, you can tell me. You're new, I wouldn't want you to get kicked out already."

"You won't tell?" Courtney asked him, not entirely believing him.

Damian stifled a laugh. "You did do it."

Courtney furrowed her brows, quickly trying to come up with something to defend herself. "It's not like that, I don't know how they broke so easily."

"Don't worry. Your secret's safe with me." Damian thought about the situation, giving her a smile. "I didn't see a thing." He then tapped the box that she was holding. "You can put it on the front desk."

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

Open house, Damian didn't really see the need to attend these but he did, along with his sister and their stepmother. It was good to keep up appearances. Though usually, the three would only arrive together then they'd split up.

Damian's head felt a presence at the door. His door that was surrounded by shadows and only darkness. It was Brainwave trying to read people's minds. Which meant that Brainwave was there at the open house.

A slender man with red hair easily stuck out in Damian's view, so it didn't take long to find him. Brainwave was Henry's father.

Damian wasn't particularly fond of Brainwave or any member of the ISA for that fact. Though being a new addition to the ISA, he couldn't really say much about either of them. He did like the Crocks and Bowin.

Brainwave has never been able to read Damian's thoughts. Each time he tried, there was nothing, just emptiness, and darkness.

Currently, Brainwave was hovering over every female student's shoulder, every blonde.

"Very suspicious." Damian thought out loud, directing it to Brainwave hoping that he'd hear.

Brainwave turned to the voice and from afar was met with a smirking Damian who wasn't looking at him but down at some cookies. He chose to ignore the kid and continue with what he was doing.

Damian kept his eyes on the older man, he wanted to know what he was up to. Though it probably had to do with whatever happened that night.

Once he saw Brainwave walk into the hallway, Damian tried to follow after him but he bumped into someone familiar. Raising his eyebrows in surprise, it was someone he didn't expect, "Artemis?"

When Artemis noticed who the voice was, she turned around and they fist-bumped each other. "Damian. The football team really needs you back. I hate all of them and want to bash their heads out, especially coach." Artemis looked up to him, he was one of the only ones on the team that actually gave her a chance. One of the only teammates that weren't afraid to push her.

Damian gave her a friendly smile. "Just show them what you're capable of. I know for a fact that you're the best on the team, better than me too. Your aim is precise and you have a strong arm."

Artemis shook her head in slight disappointment. "Thanks, but I take it that you're not coming back to the team."

"No, but football is your sport. You got this." Damian shook his head and patted the back of her shoulder. "See you around."

Damian walked his way to the hallway in hopes that Brainwave was still there.

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━