CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

In the next few days, he found out she was a stickler for nutrition, eating on time, and exercise. She ran the stored alcohol out of his body, making them both go on runs every day and long hikes in the sun, and fed him all the new age vegan crap he detested. But he ate it without complaint because he deserved any punishment she dished out to him after what she'd been through. He would never admit it to anyone, but he did enjoy having her in his home, waking up to coffee brewing in the pot and her quiet humming tunes while she puttered around in the kitchen. Adam still gave her a hard time with everything from the diet to the schedule to the music and the lyrics. His body missed the booze. He could feel the itch just beneath the surface. Her organic drinks didn't help, but they didn't hurt either.

Eve watched Adam when he wasn't looking. He was lucky; despite all the years of abusing his body, he looked amazing. Just the same as five years ago, Except for the beard he'd grown out made him more handsome. His muscular arms and shoulders, the chiseled abs, and toned legs sent shivers down her spine even now. He was perfection. She had to be careful; she didn't want to make the same mistake twice. She had promised him ten days, and that is all she had. She would leave before he threw her out this time.

They began to work on the song together, and very soon, it was like old times. They laughed and joked. Eve cooked salmon and made Adam drink a ton of green tea to detox his body. He woke up this morning not feeling quite right. The withdrawal effects were getting stronger, and he was becoming restless. His mood swings were starting to get out of control by his 4th cup of green tea. Adam wanted to stop feeling it, feeling anything at all, and he tried hard, but every time he pushed it away, it came back at him a thousand times stronger. The feelings. The feelings of the booze and the drugs were helping numb for years. He missed fucking, too; that was a kind of release, and now he had gone from a functioning alcoholic and borderline sex addict to a vegan monk in a matter of days. What's worse? It was not working. By his 3rd day of detox, he'd had enough of her new age food and yoga and deep breathing and wanted his old life back.

"I am not drinking anymore of this crap. Give me my phone. I am not a child I don't need to be supervised. I'm going out." He bellowed.

"You can scream all you want; no one lives near you. It's miles and miles of nothing but trees and nature. You said so yourself." She said calmly.

Mary had come to clean. She was a nice woman with a thick Mexican accent, and Eve liked her. Nothing seemed to shake her, not the appearance of a strange woman in her boss's home or the fact that things were cleaner than usual, and it seems not even Adam's shirtless appearance and wild eyes and shouting. She wasn't surprised by much Adam had around the house. Eve imagined Mary had seen her share of Adam's bare bottom passed out when she came to clean. She rolled her eyes at Adam and nodded sympathetically at Eve.

"Goodbye, Ms.Eve. I be back in two days" she said, carefully stringing her words together.

"Adios Mary Y muchas gracias." Eve said cheerfully in her semi-fluent Spanish. Mary smiled appreciatively at Eve and throwing a frown at the pacing wild man in the room before leaving. She was nervous about being left alone with him, but she wasn't going to show it.

Dave had called and warned her already. It was usually the 3rd or 4th day that Adam begins to go on the downward spiral when detoxing. Eve marveled at how well he knew Adam. David had insisted several times not to hesitate if she needed help and to call him day or night.

As predicted, he was spiraling, she stayed calm and refused to give in to his childish tantrums, and she was not going to call David and pull him away from his family. David had mentioned he was taking his wife to the beach house since the kids were spending the weekend with their friends. He deserved time with his wife, not worrying about Adam.