Chapter 2

"Meredith." he greeted politely although he did want to cut off those little pig tails on her head at the moment.

"Dirk." she nodded, acting as if she were an adult like the two stupid heads who were flirting that made her ill, even if she was across the room with her father. The loud sound of the vibrating driers or the churning of the washing machines could not block out the mating game that was taking part between two people who were totally wrong for one another. As a nine year old turning ten in ten months and twelve days, she felt as if it were her duty to protect other niners from seeing this display that made her eyes want to jump from their sockets and run for cover.

"It's Derek, not that you'll listen." he mumbled, giving Addison a quick smile. Her face now into a frown looking at the little girl with her pigtails curling into little spirals at the end of her sandy blonde hair. Tiny denim overalls over her pajama tops, her two front teeth missing with evidence of the next larger ones to break the gums. "Addison, this is Meredith. She's lives right next to me." he introduced, trying to ignore the little girl's pull on the leg of his pants.

She was tiny, very tiny for her age barely half his height, but she did make a lot of noise. A lot of banging and yelling that kept him up all night. She would love to go and play in the hallway of their floor, running up and down with her little red wagon filled with her little friends of Strawberry Shortcake and Garden Patch dolls. There weren't many kids her age living in the building, leaving his door to be knocked on with her tiny ineffectual fists wanting to play.

Meredith's constant pull of his pants finally caught his attention as he looked down at the little girl smiling up at him, motioning him to bend down to her level wanting to whisper something in his ear.

"What is it?" he asked, glancing up at Addison who looked slightly annoyed by the attention the younger woman who was eighteen years her junior had over the blue eyed doctor.

"Don't talk to Faddi Addi. She eats mannies like candies and thinks they're very, very dandy." she whispered loud enough for Addison to hear, scoffing at the choice of words.

Against his better judgment, Derek chuckled messing up the top of her hair in reply clearly finding it amusing. He stood up from his crouch to meet Addison's curious eye.

"Meredith here was telling me how she loved your dress." Derek stated.

"No I did-" Meredith interrupted only to have his hand cover her mouth before finishing her sentence.

"Does she now?" Addison smirked. "Do you like my dress Derek?"

"No." Meredith let out only to be muffled by his large hand over her face.

"It fits you perfectly Addison." he replied with a smile looking her up and down, tiring to hold back the disgust yell he wanted to scream from the way Meredith was licking the palm of his hand.

Finally the little girl had lubricated his hand enough to make it slide off her mouth, her tiny hand pushing it off her hating the smell of Dirk's skunky hand.

"Yeah, it fits your man body perfec-tidy!" she exclaimed with a giggle before running off out of sight to where her father was calling for her.

"Bye Bye Dirk." she waved grasping Thatcher's hand.

He didn't wave back as he tried to explain to Addison she was only kidding, the red head fuming at the young girls manners.

"Ding dong the witch is dead. Which old witch? The red head bitch!" Meredith sang loudly only to be scolded by her father and received not so happy glares from the duo.

Yes, that was Meredith Grey.