Preface

Hey readers, and thanks for tuning in! Welcome to Timepieces, a short story and poetry collection where I'll be exhibiting some of my best ideas: those that are most appealing when kept mysterious, those that were too hazy and incomplete to be expanded into a full novel, and even some of those that just work better in miniature. I'll be making updates twice every month, on the first and the sixteenth.

It's worth mentioning that Timepieces is not going to work the same way as the novels I've already published. The stories, for the most part, are unrelated. They encompass a wide range of different themes and premises, from straight science fiction to flights of fantasy to a familiar world with a touch of the supernatural.

A note about the poetry in this collection: I have repeatedly found myself incapable of writing the type of freeform poetry that may be familiar to many of you. Instead, because I am a long-time musician, my poetry is metric and rhyming. If possible, I'd recommend reading it aloud.

Over the next several months, you'll have the chance to explore a vast variety of stories and poetry. Many Timepieces stories leave important plot details unclear, which (I hope) will provide an element of mystery: using clues scattered throughout each story, are you able to figure out what's happening? Feel free to private-message me for clues, or join my Discord server (there's a link on my profile page) to get a chance at earning a little help. I know it can be frustrating to read a short story without a good sense of what's going on, but please keep in mind that the purpose of Timepieces has more to do with elaborate description of setting, character, and monologue than plot.

As always, I'm open to any reader feedback. Feel free to star, suggest, and theorize in the comments as much as you'd like. So that I can get a general idea of how many people are reading Timepieces, please log into Wattpad or make an account (it's simple and it supports writers) in order to be tracked as a reader. Thank you for your support, and enjoy the journey!

[©️ Autumn Lin 2021. All Rights Reserved.]