Chapter Five: Acceptance

It took some convincing, but all four of Wellston's secret vigilantes managed to convince the principal to let them go home sick for an entire week. Five days plus the two weekends gave John, Sera, Remi, and Blyke nine days to find John's dad and rescue him.

To their surprise, though, Spectre was already hot on his trail. They didn't just keep an eye on potential recruits and targets amongst people with powers, but also for potential allies who could provide help in other directions. One such person of interest was William Doe, vaunted author of the ultimate fiction for political subversion known as UnOrdinary.

And now his son was here to fulfill the wish that he poured into every page of that book; John was coming home to rescue him.

The agents had already beaten the gang to New Bostin, a couple local operatives moving quietly through William's home as they looked for clues.

They found nothing of substantial interest barring a paper contract for a local detective's service. John inquired as to who this person was, and one of the operators they were with let out a low whistle. He explained that the guy that his dad had hired usually worked for outrageous prices, but it looked like William got a discount. A steep discount.
85% off steep. Suggesting that the guy didn't do his job right and just ripped his dad off, they looked again and saw that the contract was marked as 'complete', but no reason was given nor any particular mission was ascribed anywhere on the document.

Their only lead. New John kept his eye on the situation, but to be honest the actual John Doe had taken complete control from here. That potential volcanic outburst before had long since been dissolved, and he'd maintained a calm from then-on out. It was a focus that none of the Johns had ever seen in their boy before; he didn't even flinch when Sera held his hand again on the flight, he only returned the favor and they shared a sort of mournful yet knowing smile.

King John was inconsolable, on the other hand. Power was almost his again, and what a time it would've been! He would've busted right on out of there and tore New Bostin apart looking for his father. He would've proven himself correct, that they didn't need anyone else to get in their way, no one needed to get close to John at all anymore. That all they needed was to show that John was superior to everyone else, that no one needed to think of anything else but to follow him and stay out of his way.

It would've been the return of a King long denied his right to rule, but now all he needed to do was wait. The cruelest of thoughts crept over him, and he knew that New John had the same exact fear going through his head as they watched the Vigilante Four move closer and closer to their goal.

William might actually be dead. He could be dead this entire time.

And the shock of seeing that, of realizing that morbid scenario into reality would set him free. For good.
And then carnage would begin once again.

In real life, the group arrived at the detective agency. A man named Simon, an older man with blue hair and greenish eyes met them at the door, and without a doubt he was who they were looking for.

Out of sheer surprise, Simon said "William?" upon seeing John, who was almost the spitting image of his father.
Upon a brief explanation, their target turned sour and immediately invited them all in, his voice growing . "Time's of the essence. That damn fool... he got himself into trouble again. I told him how dangerous it would be, I told him exactly where to find her, and of course he did something so half-cocked—"

John walked in front of the pacing man to stop him in his tracks, looking him dead-on. "What do you mean? Where's my dad? Who's 'her'? What's going on?!"