chapter one

Astrid ;

I looked at the city below me, it's full of geeks, creeps or whatever they are.

I wonder if I just jump here, on this very roof, will I turn like those creeps? Or my body will just be a free meal for all for them? Is there anybody else left? Is it just me?

My mind drifts away; every thought were a cause of my head throbbing, neither a single thought stays for a while, as my family is gone, even though they treat me horrible as I became a disappointment in their eyes.

No matter how many times I wished they were dead, I'm not too fond of the idea of being alone.

The world has gone to shit; I have been here on the rooftop of some department store I found, came inside the backdoor since it was closed on the main entrance. Sitting on the edge, I looked down and saw what was left of Atlanta below.

Dead walking the streets and ruins of abandoned cars are scattered down there. Tears brimming in my eyes, looking up at the sky that's getting darker. It might rain soon, I thought.

Sighing, what's left for me to live for in this world? I don't have anyone to talk to, and it scares me how I am on edge this time. It hurts so much that I became numb to pain...

I closed my eyes; my body became wobbly as I snapped back, I heard the door of the rooftop open. I turned my head and saw a man; he was wearing a black leather vest and had a skin fade haircut.

He looked at me when he noticed me, and smirked, "Hey girl, whatcha doin' out 'ere alone?" and walked forward to my direction, and the guy was holding a sniper in his hand.

My heart sank, remembering my late father; he was a soldier, enough to make me familiar with guns. I glance at him again, my eyes meeting his.

"Are you with other people?" I asked, ignoring his question. I can't say that I'm going to jump off the roof, it's understandable but other people might think that's crazy.

"Ye', they out there, maybe downstairs." He replied, didn't seem to mind me ignoring his words earlier. He formed his sniper and started shooting the things down there, gunshots filling the air.

Shouldn't we keep silent as the monsters might hear?... I climbed off the edge, walking next to the man.

I took off my bag and placed it on the floor. The idea of having some real person makes me smile quite a bit, even though it's some guy like him.

"My name's Astrid Kora. What's yours? Do you have a group? Can I join?" I couldn't keep the questions in anymore, and I might go crazy if I didn't find anyone now. "Woah girl, one question at a time," he cackled, still firing at the things below.

"I'm sorry, it's just that it feels like a long time being with another person that's not trying to eat me."

The door opened again, a sheriff, two women, and three men. Fuming, the African American man shouts, "Hey, Dixon, are you crazy?!"

The guy named Dixon laughs and continues shooting. Ignoring the big guy who's fuming, "Oh jeez."

The blonde woman sighs and ran her fingers through her hair. Looks like this one is the kind of redneck that's repulsive and reckless. But he might get these people into trouble.

"Hey, the biters might hear the gunshots and come here... you will get your friends killed--" I say, looking at the man, still firing the sniper.

"Hey! Y'all be more polite to a man with a gun! Huh? Ah! Only common sense." Merle spits, I looked at the five people that stood beside me.