𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚇𝙸𝙸

THE NEXT DAY the family members were standing in the new location, which was a big, empty space covered in dust and cobwebs. Mal cringed in disgust as she spotted a spider lying in a corner. She hated all types of insects.

"Here, kids, each one of you grab a broom, and let's get to work." Nawal instructed as she grabbed a wooden broom.

The kids did as told. Mal gave a creepy smile at the broom, then she went to one of the big corners and began sweeping.

The family didn't realize how long has it been since they came to the place, but when Mal took a look at her phone, she saw that there were two missed calls from Noah.

And about two unread messages.

Hey, baby, I just wanted to check on you. My siblings left and I practically have nothing to do, but I'm feeling slightly better than yesterday. Anyways call me when you're not busy. SENT 03:45PM

Hey, it's me again. My dad is making dinner and I'm actually kinda hungry. I, however, feel a little more sicker with this cold. I had to take Advil for my headache, but I'm sure I'll feel better after I eat. I love you xoxo. SENT 04:51PM

Mal furrowed her eyebrows at the two messages. She wanted to know what was really wrong with Noah. Why was he getting sicker? Was he not eating enough? Did it have anything to do with the trauma he was exposed to? It hurt her to know that he wasn't feeling well.

She wanted to go home and talk to him more. More importantly, she wanted to leave the dust and all the cobwebs behind. She was, however, excited to see what the restaurant would turn out after all the work they would do.

"Mum, can I go home? I think I need some time alone." she requested, hoping her mother would agree. She genuinely craved for some time alone after talking to her siblings and the workers, and her mum.

"Well, we still have a lot of work to do, but yeah, you can go. We'll wrap up at eight and follow you back."

That made the girl sigh in relief. She grabbed her purse, her phone, and her notebook, then she hurried away from the place.

She couldn't wait to be alone.

-

As soon as she was in front of the house, she fumbled through her bag looking for the keys. It took her a few seconds before they were finally in her grasp.

She put them through the keyhole and unlocked the door, then entered and sighing in relief.

Now she could finally relax.

She took off her shoes, then sat down on the couch, relaxing her body while reaching for her phone.

And dialled Noah's number.

One ring...

Two rings...

No answer.

She tried again, hoping that the results would be different.

But they weren't.

She huffed in annoyance, then set her phone on the counter. It made a loud thud.

"Alexa, turn on the tv." she called to the AI system. The tv was soon turned on, making her reach for the remote and pressing on the buttons to flip through the channels.

Just then, the doorbell rang.

_________________________