Chapter 6 - A Child To Raise A Village

"Where is Thuto?"

When she heard his name, Mme Nthabi wished memories of arbitrary delinquency resurfaced. Memories of harmless pranks and thoughtless wonder. Unfortunately, that was not what her cousin was like growing up. Even as a child, he was dexterous and brilliant and enjoyed provoking others. Naturally, some of his brilliance latched onto his doting cousin. Ultimately, they were two of a kind.

Seated still at her work table, Mme Nthabi looked up at Friedrich and asked, "It's as you've said, I haven't seen Thuto in six years. What makes you think I would know where he is?"

Friedrich stood in the centre of the store, he bore the strangest little smile on his lips. This was a trait that seemed to run rampant among Peacekeepers.

"Over the years, we've been tracking the movements of his little radical group. Until recently, there were little more than whispers about Thuto. He's always been a slippery one, even when I knew him — always using others to do his dirty work. The Keepers call him the Black-mouthed. Of course, his followers have given him another name. Nevertheless, it seems instead of betraying their leader and his cause they would rather turn themselves into Terrors. Their blinded resolve is pitiful. But I am grateful," Friedrich admitted, his Peacekeeper's pin shined with cold light.

"As though you've ever hesitated to kill people just the same," Mme Nthabi commented.

"Mme Letuka, Thuto is accountable for many fouler deeds," Friedrich argued.

He continued, "To abandon that kid, to leave her in a house all alone: her parents taken, memories stolen. I was assigned here to observe the miracle survivor of The Earthshake only to find that she did have a guardian angel."

Mme Nthabi observed Friedrich eyes, he was enjoying himself.

"Why is it that your applications to adopt her were rejected? You left teaching in the hopes that it would lower your Index score, didn't you? To go so far for her and be rejected all the same..." Friedrich continued, he might as well have laughed.

However, his words were true. Adopting a child was nearly impossible for the adults of this town since the earthquake had drastically increased their Index scores. But to adopt the survivor of that catastrophe would mean that her traumas, her hurt, her anger — her very tragedy would become their own. Tragedies had no place in this world. This was a world of a dream, a world composed of the hopes of the men and women of a distant past. A world free from wars and the foulness of human potential. One of hope and unity. One where each was seen as a person and treated each other as such.

It was a dream come true. Tragedies, however, do not belong in dreams. Mme Nthabi was made aware of that as her adoption papers were repeatedly rejected. Not because adopting a child was impossible, but because Sefara wasn't seen as a child. It was obvious then, the true nature of peace. Peacekeepers? The man before her right now relished in her misfortunes. But this too was in the name of peace, Mme Nthabi discerned. What a crafty concept. For the sake of peace, she would destroy it all.

"Mme Letuka," Friedrich said, a wicked little smile upon his lips. Befitting the title, here stood the embodiment of peace. "I don't believe it was a coincidence that the first Terror sighted in years appeared here. He's on the move again, isn't he?" Friedrich pried.

"Get to your point," Mme Nthabi replied. Of course, she knew what he sought after.

Friedrich stepped in closer to Mme Nthabi's table. He was like a child spoilt, he need only ask.

"What was the message that was brought to you?" Friedrich asked. He stood on the other side of her work-table expectantly.

It took him a dastardly amount of time to reach it but at last, he had gotten to the point. Mme Nthabi had been made. It was true that Thuto was now ready to set his plans in motion. She and her cousin had made a promise six years ago. The messenger he had sent to her was merely a means to fulfil it.