Chapter 7 - Day of the Festival

In the morning, Mme Nthabi awoke to find Sefara still sound asleep. After rubbing her cheek goodbye, Mme Nthabi left the house. She had stayed far too long.

As she walked along the path Sefara took many times before, she felt she was being observed. Indeed, the neighbours had their eyes on her. They said nothing, but their disapproving looks, and even sneers, were enough to make her uncomfortable.

Mme Nthabi quickened her pace only slightly.

She was out of time, she had to go straight to her store. She was being followed, however, she could never catch her stalkers. They were the kind that haunted rather than hunted.

The likes that made one terrified.

When Mme Nthabi arrived at her store, the owner of the shop next door was having a smoke outside. The man regarded her with disgust but said nothing. Mme Nthabi ignored him and looked for her keys in her handbag. After a great deal of scuffling, she found them at last.

"Good morning," Mme Nthabi greeted.

The shop owner ignored her. He snubbed out his cigarette and walked into his store. Mme Nthabi forced the key into the door and swung the door closed behind her.

She stood there.

She put her hands to her face and uttered a silent scream.

She raged, letting it all out.

And then she dropped her hands.

Taking a deep breath, Mme Nthabi regained her composure. She flipped the sign on the door.

'Open'.

Around the same time that morning, Sefara had woken up and was getting ready for the Festival. She was jubilant, she hummed a melody as she got ready. Sefara ran the tap water in the basin as she unwrapped her bandaged arm. She wondered if the orchestra would play that song again. Once she saw her arm she stopped humming and her happy thoughts dissipated.

In the kitchen, Sefara found a note Mme Nthabi had left for her, it read:

Good morning Sefara-nana,
I had to leave early to finish the gift I wanted to give you today. See you soon.
Love, Teacher. Eba le botho.

Sefara smiled, she wondered what it could be. She hoped it was a horse, but lost her nerve soon afterwards.

At midday, the Festival venue was buzzing with excitement. The food stalls were opened and they offered snacks and beverages to tantalized townsfolk. Some people had already found their seats while others, especially the children, couldn't help but move around frenetically.

Sefara and Khaya sat among the other children in the front rows of the auditorium. Whilst Khaya snacked on his bag of popcorn, Sefara stood with her knees on the bench. She was looking for someone in the back.

"Do you think Teacher will come?" Sefara asked.

Khaya still munching away, "All the adults have work until 11 today so that they can have time to attend the Festival. I'm sure she'll be here soon," he assured.

"Yeah, you're right," Sefara agreed and then sat down next to him. She had some popcorn from Khaya's bag and then asked, "Have you seen Abby yet?"

"Yup, she's right there," Khaya answered. He pointed to a blonde girl who sat a row behind them to the right. As opposed to the other children around her, she seemed completely disinterested.

When Sefara saw Abby, Abby look right back at her. Sefara was unsure if she should be smiling the way she was. Abby certainly wasn't. Another uncomfortable interaction between the two girls.