Chapter 8 - The Monster Within, The Person Without

Friedrich sighed, he was disappointed with this outcome. He had thought he and Mme Nthabi were similar, that they had both conquered their worst nature.

At present, Mme Nthabi was stuck in transition between herself and the Terror inside her. Friedrich had tried to administer an inhibitor but before he could finish, she sent him crashing onto the other side of the street. She had crushed the syringe he had wedged into the side of her neck. It wouldn't be long now before the Terror fully awoke.

Friedrich groaned, still lying on the ground. The wind carried the sounds of celebrations nearby as a rhythmic murmur.

"Good grief, of all the days..." he muttered.

But the Festival meant all the stores were closed and no one would be nearby. However, just to be certain, Friedrich thought it best to handle the situation inside the seamstress's store. Mme Nthabi still stood in the doorway which was good. Apart from that all he needed to do was subdue a vengeful lady with the strength of ten. Wonderful.

Friedrich got up, grateful to have his uniform on or he may have broken a few things. "I think there's a misunderstanding here. Mme Letuka, I am trying to help you," Friedrich clarified. Mme Nthabi didn't respond, but to be fair she hadn't said a word more since that phrase he was tired of hearing.

He continued speaking as he walked back towards the store,

"I am person fore' I am a monster, huh? All of them murmur the same phrase in the same demented expression. They seriously believe the King has returned. But they're just his mindless followers who believe what he wants them to believe. I doubt most of them ever even met Thuto. But you did, you trust each other. I'd wager you may have even grown up together."

Friedrich was in front of her now. The air was hot around her. Mme Nthabi was sweating but still, she didn't move.

Friedrich could hardly believe she was the same woman he spoke to only a day before. The woman who got a kick out of provoking him. They were both masters of their demons. But master's are not overcome by terror. They thrive on it. Friedrich learned long ago, that past the fear there is nothing. There could be nothing. He must fear. He must hold fear with both hands like a dagger, and guide it into the heart of the world. Only then could he survive.

"I half wanted to let you run off to your saviour if only to know his whereabouts," Friedrich admitted.

He took out his knife, a black cold blade.

"But something, a gut feeling, said: Go and check on the nasty woman, she might need help," Friedrich explained.

Again no response.

"Oh no, not the waterworks..." He complained. But his eyes were fervent, doing little to hide his joy.

Two quiet streams of water rolled down Mme Nthabi's cheeks. The Peacekeeper's blade exuded a similar feeling of sorrow as blood dripped from its edge...

Elsewhere, the main segment of the Festival had ended. The townsfolk now continued the celebration at their own leisure. Khaya and Sefara were both eager to get started, after all, there were plenty of games, food stalls and performances left to enjoy.

As they were leaving the auditorium, Sefara stopped and asked Khaya to wait a moment for her, "I'll be right back," she assured. Khaya thought nothing of it and waited. Sefara did return a moment later, along with Abby who she'd brought by the hand as though they were good friends. "We're back!" Sefara casually announced.

"Hey, hold on..." Khaya protested. He disliked Abby because she was a Swann. He didn't trust her either because she was a Peacekeeper. He could never tell what she was thinking or what she was hiding behind her blue veils. The Swanns were responsible for what happened to his big brother. Khaya would never trust them.