Chapter 6

"I have something for you," Castiel said a few days later when David joined him by the lake once again. He smiled and blushed when the other man pressed a soft kiss to his temple.

"What is it?" Dean asked.

"Close you eyes and open your mouth," Castiel said.

Dean raised an eyebrow.

Castiel grinned. "Please," he said. "It'll be worth it. I promise."

Dean smirked but did as Castiel asked, and seconds later his mouth was flooded with the taste of warm apple and cinnamon, and he closed his lips over it and chewed, and swallowed, moaning his approval.

"Cas, that was-" he started to say.

But he didn't finish, and his eyes had barely opened before they were closed again, and he felt rough, strong hands on his neck, and chapped lips brushing against his, and he grunted, and his breath hitched.

"Wow," Dean said when Cas pulled away. "That was amazing."

Cas grinned. "The pie, or the kiss?" he asked.

"Both," Dean answered. And he placed his hand on Castiel's cheek and pulled him back in for another kiss. And Castiel scooted closer. And the kiss was longer this time, warmer, deeper, filled with want, and longing.

"Cas," Dean breathed, pulling away and resting his forehead against the other man's. "There's something, I have to tell you." And he was shaking now, and finding it difficult to breath. Cas was going to hate him. He'd done nothing but lead him on for the past three weeks. Nothing but lie to him, and give him false hope of a future that would never be. And yet it had been the happiest Dean had ever been in his entire life.

He swallowed, and he felt tears in his eyes.

"David?" Castiel said, pulling away slightly, and lifting the other man's face to look at him. "What's wrong?" David was trembling, and he looked like he was about to cry. But Castiel couldn't understand why.

"Cas, I," Dean started, and he looked down. "I'm so sorry."

And Cas reached over and placed a hand on his cheek, and felt the tear that slid down it. "For what?" he asked.

And Dean opened his mouth to speak, but before he could he heard a voice behind him that ruined everything, and he shut his eyes tightly.

"Dean!"

"Oh, God," Dean said softly, biting his lip and looking down, clenching his hands into fists. His brother couldn't have had worse timing.

And Dean looked up in time to see Castiel turn pale, his eyes widening, a look of horror spread across his handsome face, and he stared at Dean, dumbstruck.

"Dean?" Castiel said, scooting back. "Prince Dean?"

Dean reached for him, but Castiel jerked away.

"Cas, I meant to tell you . . ."

And the look on Castiel's face turned from horror to rage.

"No!" he shouted. "Don't! Just, don't."

"Cas, please," Dean pleaded. "I can explain."

"I don't want to hear it," Castiel said, standing up. He had so many emotions running through him right now. Anger, humiliation, hurt. Prince Dean? This whole time? He'd been flirting with the Prince? He'd been falling in love with the Prince? He'd just kissed the Prince?

And without another word, he turned, got on his horse, and rode away.

"Cas!" Dean called after him, but Castiel did not look back.