Chapter 8

King John sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair and down his face. He couldn't believe his ears. He could tell his son was nervous when he'd asked for permission to speak with him, and he'd assumed it was about the engagement or the coronation. But he'd never expected this. Then again, maybe he should have. Dean had been trying to talk to him for weeks, and John had been dismissing him. He'd thought his son was just being a petulant child who didn't want to accept responsibility, but this went far beyond duty. This went to his son's very core.

"Dean," he said, looking at the tears streaking his son's face, "why didn't you say something sooner?"

"I . . . I tried," Dean stammered. "I . . . was afraid, that you would . . ."

"That I would what?" John asked, standing up now and moving closer to his son, resting a hand on his trembling arm.

"That you would hate me," Dean finished, and he collapsed under the weight of his words, falling to his knees, as he continued to shake and sob. "I'm sorry," he cried. "I'm so sorry."

"No, Dean," John said, kneeling in front of his son. And he felt Dean stiffen when he took him into his arms. "I'm sorry." And Dean relaxed and sniffled.

"What?" he asked, wiping tears from his eyes.

"You are right, Dean," John said. "You did try to tell me, and I wouldn't listen. That isn't your fault. It's mine. And it never even occurred to me that you might be gay, son. I just assumed, and I shouldn't have. I'm sorry."

Dean looked into his father's eyes and felt relief washing over him, and for the first time in his life, he felt like he could breath, like he could be Prince Dean, and be gay, be himself. And he hugged his father tightly as tears slid down his cheeks.

"Dean," John said after a moment. "Thank you for telling me."

Dean smiled and laughed slightly, and pulled away. "Thank you for accepting me," he said.

"You still have to tell your mother," John said with a smile.

Dean smiled back and wiped away tears. "I will," he promised, and he looked at his brother who was still standing next to him, and he was beaming.

"Dean, this boy the kingdom says you were spending time with, what's the real story there?" John asked. "I'm beginning to think it wasn't just one sided."

Dean blushed. "It wasn't," he admitted, looking down.

"Do you care for this boy?" John asked.

Dean nodded. "Very much," he said.

"And does he return your affections?"

"I . . . I'm not sure," Dean admitted. "It's kind of complicated."

John raised an eyebrow. "I see," he said. "Can you uncomplicate it by tomorrow?"

Dean's eyes went wide.

"If you want this boy, and if he says yes to you, Dean," John said with a smile, "then so will I."

***********

Castiel stiffened and breathed in through his nose as he felt Bartholomew's fingers brushing against his cheek from behind, and he turned his face slightly, closing his eyes, and he swallowed. He felt the man's breath on the back of his neck.

"You will soon learn to appreciate me, Castiel," he said. "Need I remind you that if it wasn't for me you would be out in the gutter right now?"

Castiel glared at him.