xii. reunion

THIRD POV,

flashback.

The first thing Hongjoong registered is the water trickling on his temples, groaning in discomfort he attempted to move his body.

But failed miserably when he shortly noticed that his body, cannot be moved.

He gradually opened his eyes and squinted, in an attempt to see through his blurred vision— The first thing he noticed was the platinum canopy then his eyes moved to the servants that were chaining his body into the walls of the cave.

"What do you think you're doing?" Hongjoong enlarged his eyes, promptly realizing his situation. "Let me go this instant!"

The servants only gave him a sad look before the three of them lined before him and kowtowed.

"Please forgive this servant" The middle-aged man bowed his head, slightly slamming his temples on the rocks in the process. "We were only instructed what we were told and we never wanted to do this in the first place. Our lives are in the hands of our Mistress, please forgive us!"

Hongjoong recognized that he was Kim Manor's butcher, the man who he relied on whilst growing up, and the female servants beside him were his nurses. Betrayal immediately surged inside of the youth. How could they dare do this?

"Please don't be an angry ghost and seek us for vengeance later on, we are only lowly servants and we have no power over her..." The male servant was stammering, his voice shaking in guilt as he proceeded again. "This wouldn't happen if we would protest against her, but Young Master. We all have children waiting for us"

"Mistress?" Hongjoong croaked out. He was exhausted from the funeral of his father that he didn't even eat and sleep very well for the past weeks, but there is one thing he wanted to know- The root behind all of this.

The same male butcher instructed the two other servants to leave first and after they reluctantly left, he kneeled again.

"Mistress, your stepmother." He whispered as if the walls of the cave would hear him.

When first realized his situation, Hongjoong knew that there was no one else that would atrociously do this to him, but his malevolent stepmother.

But now all of his doubts were affirmed.

His sullen voice croaked, "Why?" It's tainted with an obvious sign of defeat. There is no choice in protesting knowing nothing else would save him from the powerful Qi-infused chains.

The servant hastily looked around as if checking if there are eavesdropping figures before he shakily proceeded. "Lady Minseo, she is the one who wanted to chain you to let beasts feast up upon your body. After the death of your father, she was hysterical when she found out all of his riches will be left to you and not to her, she wanted to get rid of you and finally claim your father's inheritance,

Your stepmother and adopted sisters hated you and Young Miss Jemma. They were jealous of the legitimate blood of the late general that only lies in your veins, because it's something that they can never have. I apologize you have to experience this on your own, even your sister never knew about this and I just know they are going to get rid of her soon."

Hongjoong knew that the words the butcher resonated from the heart itself, and the guilt plaguing his tone and face were raw. The middle-aged man kowtowed one last time before he stood up and looked back at the helpless youth.

"Go and rest in peace young boy, your mother is waiting for you on the other side."

The butcher disappeared from his sight and Hongjoong never knew how long he was absent-mindedly staring at a blank space ahead, letting every information immerse inside of him as he finally accepted this cruel, malicious fate the gods engraved for him.