Fourth day

Fourth day

I didn't have the energy to get up on the bed. Was it just yesterday that I was sleeping soundly with the thought of the man I love? Now, it was nothing but bitter resentment and doom. I groan and felt tears starting to fall again.

"Oi. Mel, get up already! I've been shouting at you for 15 minutes." My brother said, bringing me back to reality.

"I'm not going to school today. I feel sick." I said, tightening the covers over my head. My voice was horse and thick from last night's break down.

"What's wrong?" he said; his voice sound concerned. "Did someone tease you again?" he asked, confident with his assumption.

I didn't reply and just close my eyes, pretending to be asleep. Then, the next thing I know, my blanket cover was gone.

"What the?" I shouted with irritation. I glared at him.

He gasped when he finally saw me. My eyes were blood shot red from crying, and my legs have purple patches on them from Britney's kicks.

"What happen to you?!" he shouted. He didn't see me last night since he was out when I got back home. Mom knew about it. But when I brush her off and lock myself in the room, she knows that I want to be by myself. She knows me well.

I didn't answer him. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. I wasn't in the mood of explaining anything to anyone as of the moment. Even though I and my brother don't agree every time, he is quite protective of me and mom.

"Melanie Curtland. You come here and tell me what happen! Did some bitch beat you up? Why can't you tell me these things? If she thinks that she can just get away with hurting you...." He started letting off steam and shouts outside the bathroom.

I let out a sigh, knowing that I have to face him eventually. I opened the door and looked at him with an expressionless face. I don't want him to do something stupid again and get busted. I wasn't any more that 10 year old girl that couldn't face her own fears. I am 17 and will be going to college and start making decision for myself. I have to stand up for myself.

"Bradley!" I shouted to make him stop talking. When he did, I continued. "I'm freaking 17! I can handle my own battles now. Sure, I got beat up. That would be my freaking business! Don't you dare stand up for me! Maybe, once upon a time, I need you. But, sure enough, that's long gone. You can't protect me forever! Just let it go..." I paused, catching my breath. "Thank you for being there, Bradley. But, this one I have to deal with myself."I said more softly and sincere.

He sighed and looked at me in a pained expression. "I know that. I know I can't protect you forever. But, while I'm still here... I..." he said, trailing off on his sentence.

After that, there was a long silence. We just stood there in front of the bathroom, not looking at each other. Then, mom came up and break the tension.

"Anyone wants breakfast?" she asked in a soft tone. I knew she heard our conversation. And, I'm glad she understands and gave us the space when we needed it.

I sighed, and walked back to my room. "I'm going to school." I said as I passed by Bradley.

The trip to school was a blur. My mind was filled with everything with Liam and Bradley. I can't understand how life works. It was just a day ago, I was happy, then now, I was not anywhere near it. I was particularly miserable.

As I walked on the hall leading to my locker, I didn't notice Britney was walking towards me. She pushed me hard enough that I stumbled towards the locker near me. I almost hit a person who was trying to open his locker. He backed away as he saw me fall toward his direction. I got a hold of my footing and stood up directly, my back on the locker.