Getting Ready

I'm feeling a bit nervous. Today is the day that I am venturing out into the unknown. It has been years since the last researcher left those walls. She never came back. I've heard stories about what happens to those who leave the walls. They get eaten or lost with no way back home. One story even suggests giant beasts that can swallow you whole. Many people here believe it is all just myths or fairytales, but if so, why is no one leaving the walls? What happened? And what is out there?

Wingdings POV:

     I gulp softly as I approach king Asgore. I bow to him feeling an uneasiness. "Oh Wingdings!" Asgore cries as he comes over and hugs me tight. His long blond beard smothers my face as some of it gets into my eyesockets. "Please tell me you reconsidered! I won't be able to sleep at night if you go!" His powerful tail swishes around causing a small current to form. I wrap my boney arms around his neck and sigh. "Asgore we talked about this for weeks" I reply in a muffled voice as my face is still stuck inside of Asgore's lofty beard. Asgore whines and hugs me even tighter. "I know we did! Oh but I'm still so worried! At least let me send a guard or two with you for the first few miles!" Asgore pleads. I can never really get anywhere with him. He has always seen me as a child. "I will be fine Asgore" I reply while I move away from his embrace. "Fine... But you better be safe." He huffs as he sadly watches me make my way out of the castle.

     My grey tail follows behind me as I swim down to my brothers' pod. I have my own sleeping space there too, but I have been spending a lot of time in the castle where I conducted my research. I knock on the door and I am greeted by my youngest brother Papyrus. He never goes without a smile unless Sans is saying one of his terrible puns. "Brother! You came to visit!" Papyrus exclaims with a warm tone in his voice. We hug and I feel a hinge of sadness wash over me as I open my mouth to speak. "No, Papyrus. I came to say goodbye." My throat feels choked up as I force the words out. "Goodbye?" He askes now with a hint of worry on his face. "Yes, Papyrus. Goodbye. I will be leaving for an expedition across the ocean very soon." I explain while looking up at his new expression. He has a look of excitement again. "Oh, brother! That's great! If only I could've became a guard sooner so I could come with you!... Can I come with you?" He askes with a bit of hope and hesitance now. "I'm sorry, Paps. We don't know what dangers lurk about. That is why I am going out to see what is out there." I make sure my voice is soft and comforting so he doesn't get worried about my well-being. Paps then invites me in for some snacks before I go.

     I now eat a small coral crunch bar infused with kelp bits. Sans, the middle child, has entered into the kitchen and now we are conversing about different theories. I then decide to bring it up to him about what is going to happen in the next few moments. "I am leaving. I don't know when I will be back but I promise I will return." I say to Sans as I now wait for his reaction. Sans has always been more of a mellow and laid-back guy, but now I'm worried he won't give a good reaction. Sans looks up at me and his never leaving smile just widens. "That's good bro! I'm happy you get to fulfill your dreams! I can't believe you are qualified for such an ex-squid-sit opportunity! Then again your work is always e-fish-ent!" Sans remarks with a wink. I stare down at him and can't help but smile as Papyrus throws a fit. After watching some coral and kelp bars get shot through the water at Sans I say my official goodbyes to both of them. 

     I hold a locket tightly in my hands. I got it from my room real quickly before I left my brothers. It holds a family picture of the three of us. I feel tears trying to bubble up into my eyes as I gulp hard. I grabbed my brand new journal and pen from my workstation in the castle and I avoided Asgore so I wouldn't have another confrontation. I make my way to the gates of the kingdom walls, and I begin having doubts. Maybe I should turn around? I should've let Asgore talk me into staying. No. No! This is the one opportunity I have! I am not going to waste it! Yet as I get closer and closer to the gates my soul sinks further and further down.