A Painful Goodbye

The morning sun shines through the waters and down in through the holes of the tattered ship. A well-rested merskeleton feels the warmth seep onto his bone. The golden light wakes him from his sleep causing his eyes to slightly open. The smell of a well-prepared dish wafts to his senses making him more aware of his surroundings.

Wingding's POV.

     Sitting up, I let out a yawn and lift my arms up into a stretch. I turn my head to the entranceway where I hear the brightly colored fellow humming away. "Hello, Swap." I say softly as I go through the entranceway. "Good morning, Wingdings! Did you sleep well?" Swap asks as he twirls his spatula up in the water. "I did. Thank you for letting me stay here." I reply as I sit down in one of the bolted-down chairs. It isn't long before some freshly made cooked kelp is placed in front of me. "I am pleased to hear! I missed having people over. I miss people in general!" Swap exclaims with a smile. He goes back to his pan and serves himself a platter. "Why don't you go back to the city? I'm sure they'll let you in! Especially if you mention you are a friend of mine!" I suggest with hope. Swap swims over and sits across from me. "As much as I'd like that, I need to stay here. To help others! Like you. I've made it my mission to do so ever since I met an adventurer years ago." He tells before taking a large mouthful of food off of his plate. "You met an adventurer? Other than the one before me?" I ask as I too eat. "Yes! When I was just a young and careless pup! She taught me many things, but back then I couldn't do what I can now. So it all became lost. Now though, I shall care for all travelers!" Swap declares with happiness bursting from him. His smile beams and his eyes shine like glimmering gems in the sunlight, yet there is still a hint of pain. I decide not to press any further. "I thank you for that, Swap. I'm sure many others thank you as well." I comment while finishing up my meal. "And thank you for that amazing breakfast!" I chuckle. "Of course! You are going to need it for the journey ahead! Speaking of that! Let's get you ready!" Swap chirps.

     "Thanks for coming with me!" I hum as I have my satchel slung and a friend by my side. "Of course! But do remember I cannot stray so far." Swap reminds me. "I know, but even having you for a short while helps me feel more confident about moving forward." I state as I grip the leather strap of my bag. Swap smiles and looks forward on with me. It is a mostly quiet trip from here on out except for the occasional questions. Now we come to a stop. I look at the vast and empty ocean before me. I feel so nervous, it's like I could throw up. My eyes sting and I feel like I can't breathe. Suddenly, A hand goes on mine. "You'll do great." Swap comfortingly whispers. He then pulls me into a hug. My arms wrap around him, and I do my best not to let tears slip. I've only met him yesterday, but it feels like I've known him for an eternity. We move away from the hug, and Swap puts his hands on my shoulders. "You can always come back to me." Swap says as he gives my shoulders a gentle squeeze. "I will always be here to help you. No matter what you return to me for, I will be there." As Swap finishes those words I feel myself getting even more choked up. My body aches and my tongue tingles. I give a silent nod and we hug one last time. We let go and give each other one final look before he turns and begins to swim back to his home. "Go help others." I whisper before I turn back to the vast ocean. I take in a deep breath and I begin making my way.

     I have been traversing these open waters for what feels like hours. How long has it been? I don't know. It would've been smart of me to bring a watch. Of course, I don't think of it till now. I feel so cold, yet so hot at the same time. Am I sweating? I can't tell. I'm underwater. Why am I shaking so much? I must just be having anxiety. Just keep moving forward... but forward is so blurry. I rub my eyes and glance around. It's all just blurry. My head hurts. My throat hurts. I can't breathe. My gills. I feel so sick. Come on, Wingdings! Calm down! You can do this! Oh... I feel like I'm going to vomit. Everything hurts so much. Am I... sinking? I can't see. Everything is so fuzzy and dark. Swap. I need you. Please. You said you'd be there. Waiting for me. Swap. Wait for me... Goodbye.