04. The Curtis Kids

Marley didn't realize her hands had gone numb until her suitcase rattled against the floor. Sodapop's hand was still on her shoulder, Pony's arms wrapped around her waist. Darry still stood in the doorway with his arms crossed over his broad chest. He ran his tongue over his lips, his voice quiet and hoarse when he finally spoke. "What are you doing here, Marlene?"

There was something about the way he said her name. It wasn't like how Ponyboy or Sodapop said it, giddy and excited. Darry sounded too much like their father, too tired to be barely twenty. With no idea of what to do, Marley dug her nails into the sofa, like she did every time her parents would reprimand her. For a moment, she could still hear their voices. If she had any idea what she would lose only three days later, maybe she would have listened better.

"We got another call from the school today, Marlene. If you're having so much trouble in class, why don't you just talk to one of us? You know we're here to help-"

Three days later, while Darry was preparing for a football game a few towns over, Marley was pulled out of class. Instead of facing her teacher and being called out again for not paying attention, she was met with two police officers.

"I thought Sodapop woulda told you," she said quietly.

He sighed, but Marley couldn't force herself to meet his eyes. Coming here was a mistake, she knew that now. Her brothers' excited smiles and questions falling from their lips meant next to nothing. They were practically worthless compared to the thoughts racing through the oldest two's minds. Darry ran his fingers through his hair and sighed again before glancing over his shoulder. The bacon was sizzling in the pan, the eggs would burn if he didn't stir them soon.

"Dinner's ready. One of you set the table," he stated. Sodapop gave his sister's shoulder a reassuring squeeze before he followed his brother into the kitchen. Ponyboy stayed at her side, his identical green-grey eyes landing on her suitcase. "I can put this in your room if ya want," he grinned. "I...I don't really know if Darry wants me stayin' here, hun," Marley stammered quietly. Ponyboy scoffed and wrapped his hand around the worn handle. "He doesn't want half the gang staying here, that doesn't stop them," he teased. 

Then he left. He crossed the living room in a few quick strides, the suitcase banging against his hip as he walked. Sodapop was piling condiments into his hands from the fridge before wandering into the dining room, Darry distracted himself from the girl in his house by stirring the green eggs in the pot. With no other option available, Marley took a breath and walked into the kitchen. Four plates were on the counter, each being covered with a slice of bread, eggs, and bacon. Soundlessly, Marley pulled a butter knife from the drawer and covered the warm bread.

 Darry refused to meet her eyes. In his mind, he knew better than to ignore her. Momma's voice was back in his mind, just like all the times Marley would go crying to her after something he'd said. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." The silent treatment only lasted for an hour or two, three at the most. It usually ended with Marley standing in his doorway, twirling a piece of hair nervously.

"I'm sorry," she'd start. "I didn't mean it Darry, honest... Can we be friends again?"

He'd roll his eyes and nod, pushing away his homework and gesturing to the foot of his bed. "Yeah, we can be friends again if you want."

But fifteen months of neglect couldn't be erased overnight. Sodapop and Ponyboy deserved their answers, Darry deserved closure. One night they were burying their parents and the next, Marley was riding in the front seat of a boy's mustang, guilt clawing at her heart. Now, Marley was biting at her lip anxiously, two plates in her hands. Darry held the other two as he followed his sister into the dining room where Sodapop and Ponyboy were already sitting.