Chapter 2

Before I forget, I would like to dedicate this chapter to @PreciousOkpilolo the first reader, voter the first person to comment on my book. Thank you so ma.God bless you.

1 Tim. 4:12
"𝐃𝐨 n𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝒐𝐮 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠...."

The rest of the day went on smoothly. All seemed to have been forgotten and she like everyone else was busy on the computer.

The door opened and everyone wondered what had brought her up as she is rarely seen unless.... But she was to busy to notice.

"Jare, how far ? Wetin happen ?" The guy who had tried to defend Bola spoke up, but she only smiled and walked up to Bola's table. All attention was drawn.

"Bola again!" Someone exclaimed. But Bola was too focused on what she was doing to hear or even notice what was going on around her.

"Miss Johnson!" Jare, the CEO's personal assistant called.

Her head shot up from the computer screen. Her voice must have carried the moderate yet authorative volume Bola's ears needed to jolt her out of her reverie.

"Y-y-y-yes ?" She stammered and didn't miss the groan that came from the obviously irritated P.A. who was now tapping her feet impatiently on the ground. She (Bola) sighed inwardly.

The room went still for a moment. Everyone was now focused on the petit young lady seated behind her table. Her partner, whose seat wasn't too far from hers witnessed how her fingers which were formerly typing furiously on the keyboard had slipped under the table to rest on her laps. She was now playing with it.

"The CEO would like to see you." She announced.

Bola swallowed.

Jare wasted no time in leaving after delivering the message. She (Bola) felt eyes on her from the minute she stood up till she left the room.

𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍

"You may go in". Jare announced with boredom evident in every part of her.

"Come in". A voice said from within. She entered, slamming the door gently behind her.

"Good day ma'am you asked to see me." She greeted in a voice that wasn't above a whisper. With head bowed, she waited for whatever the CEO was about to say.

The CEO, a lady probably in her 30s, relaxed in her swivel chair and quietly observed Bola. She said nothing for a while and Bola felt her heart pound violently against her chest.

"You can raise your head now."

Bola obeyed, albeit, slowly but avoided her gaze.

"Hmph!" She began. "Just as I was told."

"Hmm ?" Someone has been talking to her about me ? Of course, they hate me that much."

"How old are you ?"

"Tw-twen-twenty six".

The young lady sized her up. "Are you sure ?"

"Yes sir..... yes ma". She quickly corrected.

She kept quiet for a while and sighed. "Okay, young lady, I need you to meet my eyes."

She obeyed but struggled to maintain it and so looked back down.

She only sighed. " How long have you been on the job ?"

"2 years ma." She was shivering now."And nine months, she added.

"What?"

"2 years and nine months". Bola reiterated.

"Look! Young lady, I believe I have been calm enough will you please speak up?! Or do you need a mic or some amplifier of some sort ?"

"2 years and nine months." Bola repeated audibly now.

"You're not 26, are you ?"

"I am ma". She replied still looking down.

"Liar!" She barked.

"No, no, i'm not, i'm not lying madam, I swear!" Bola now looked up. Her eyes were now very glassy as the tears threathened to fall.

"Then, I'm sorry miss. You are not fit to work here."

She raised her head to face her boss, just in time to find a blank expression on her face. Her shivering had stopped now. She continued.

"This firm hires only competent and confident lawyers who can brave any case that seems like a storm. Those are lawyers and not chickens like you. Please pack your things and leave. You. Are. Fired." She finished.

For a moment, Bola felt like a statue.

"Out!" Her boss barked.

Bola began to shiver again.

"Are you deaf ?"

Bola slowly began to leave, walking like someone who has had all her energy drained.

𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍
Slumpimg down on her seat, she could hardly breathe. She felt the occasional glances her now ex colleagues threw at her. Curious ones, hardened glares joined in.

she slowly placed her hands on her mouse and clicked severally before finally logging out. Then she began to pack her things.

Until she was down to the last floor, curious glances never left her. Finally outside, she trudged down the parking lot to her car, hugging her box closely to her like her life depended on it.

Slamming her car door shut, she relaxed on her seat for aoment. A sigh escaped her as she absorbed the noise of revving cars, the hissing of the diesel generator and nothing more. She fixed the key into her ignition and revved the car to life.

She slammed her door shut and locked it before turning towards the room. It wasn't empty, but the echo was louder. The third door that slammed shut was her room door. She was all alone but she locked it. The orange walls seemed deeper, she hadn't raised the curtains, she didn't feel like, didn't want to. She loved the slight darkness that covered part of the room, it was comfortable.

Again, on normal days, she'd call her sister. But, not today. Today, she wanted to be alone, she didn't want to burden or bother anyone. All these she thought as she.made ℎer way towards her vainity table. She stared back at the girl in the mirror for a long time.

𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍
𝐷𝑎𝑡𝑒
𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝐷𝑖𝑎𝑟𝑦,

But, her hands refused to move. She sat there paralyzed for what seemed like forever, and the tears came in droplets. Drip, drop, drip, drop and she let it all out, not caring who heard her or who didn't.

Hey guys😔

What does she do now ? 😐
Your comments are welcome.
Votes too oo.