06

06 . 𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗲𝗿
𝗳𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗼𝘄 .

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓, 𝐁𝐔𝐆," Caroline beamed.

She was standing beside Charlotte, looking at their reflections in the full-length mirror. Light was spilling through Charlotte's bedroom window, and she too was staring at her reflection, her eyes trailing up and down from her hair to her clothes. It was early in the morning.

"Are you sure," Charlotte asked, for the third consecutive time, her face doubtful.

Caroline placed her hands on Charlotte's shoulders. "Oh I'm sure. You look beautiful, my dear," she said, warm and softly, as she rubbed her hands on her shoulders comfortingly. She looked to her granddaughter's face in the mirror, which was still unsettled. "You'll be fine, okay? There's nothing to worry about, you'll be with your friends."

It was ironic of her to say there was nothing to worry about, because there was much to worry about. Charlotte couldn't stop thinking about the rules she'd been enforced about Ward, she couldn't stop thinking about public school, and the fact that, for most of the summer, she thought she'd be walking in with John B by her side. There was a lot to worry about.

"I'm nervous," Charlotte said, her voice kind of quiet. She turned to face her grandma. "Like, so nervous."

"Don't be, hun," Caroline still rubbed her arms on her shoulders. "It'll be okay, you're gonna have fun."

Charlotte let out a sigh and nodded slowly, avoiding her eyes. Caroline placed a kiss on her forehead, then pulled away and smiled. With her hand on Charlotte's shoulder, she began to guide both of them to the bedroom door. Charlotte stopped to grab her phone on the nightstand.

When they walked out of the bedroom, and a few steps down the hall, Daryl looked up. He was sitting in his spot at the table, a coffee in one hand and a manual in the other.

"My goodness," He said, in comforting awe, when he saw both of them. "Look at you."

Charlotte smiled, and looked at the floor.

"I know this is where we're supposed to say 'look at you, all grown up', or something like that, but," Caroline shrugged, laughing. "You know."

"I like the outfit," Daryl nodded, genuinely meaning it. He placed his mug on the table.

"Thanks, grandma picked it out," Charlotte said, with a glance down at her outfit. She was much more comfortable calling them 'grandma' and 'grandpa' in front of them now.

Caroline pulled her hands away and stepped over to her schoolbag, resting on the futon sofa. She brought it over to Charlotte, her eyes excited.

"Okay, you've got everything you need in there," Caroline assured.

"Thanks," She replied, grabbing the backpack.

"I see a car," Daryl said, looking out the window. He had his mug in his hand, hovering near his face.

"Nice, Daryl," Caroline rolled her eyes, as she fixed a few strands of hair on Charlotte's shoulder.

"No, he means they're here," Charlotte said, swallowing as she noticed Kiara's green vehicle parking beside their lawn. "My friends are here."

"Yeah, Carol." Daryl said, butt-hurt.

"Okay, you're ready," Caroline said, with excitement in her voice.