08

08 . 𝗮 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗺𝘆 𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁'𝘀 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿 . 

    "I've never taken part in a stake-out before," Charlotte huffed from the backseat.

    The sun had gone down in an hour, and they watched it over the trees of Gavin's house as they sat in the car on the other side of the road. It was dark now, and a little bit colder, but they were all in their spots in Kiara's car, about to start Phase Two. Phase Two, which was calling said-Gavin and tickling the wire by doing so.

   "So, why does she get to tickle," JJ asked, sounding offended that he hadn't been picked— as he passed his removed sweater to Charlie, holding it in a ball.

    "She's the best," Pope claimed.

    "I agree," Charlie said, as she held up the sweater to rid the folds, and then she placed it over her crossed legs on the seat to ease her coldness. "No offence, J." She tucked the ends of the sweater under her legs.

    He scoffed and sat up, draping his arms over Kiara and Pope's seats.

    "Should I, like, do an accent?" Kiara suggested. The phone was in her hand, for preparation.

    "Definitely disguise your voice, yes," Pope nodded.

     "Disguise my voice how," her words came out in a British accent, "How would you like me to talk,"

    "That's very good, very posh," Charlie nodded firmly, pointing her finger at Kie.

    "Not like that," JJ was saying at the same time, shaking his head.

    "Yeah, not like that, no," Pope agreed.

     Charlie shrugged, crossing her arms. "It was good th—"

    "Batman." Pope declared.

    "Batman," Kiara repeated, in a batman voice, low and groggy.

    "There you go." Pope pointed his finger at her.

    "Spot-on, let's do it," JJ tapped his hands on their seats.

    "That's so sketchy," Charlie narrowed her eyebrows, confused at how they didn't point out the obvious. "I say do the British."

    But Kiara was already pressing the call button, keeping the phone close to her mouth. After a second, the ringing began and they all caught their breath. It was only a few rings before it halted in the middle of one.

    "Hello?" A man's voice on the other line spoke out.

    "Hello." Kiara said, in the deep voice. She stopped right after, turning to look at them in the backseat, giving up right away. "I can't."

    "Just— just talk," Pope shook his head.

    "Just talk," JJ said.

    "British," Charlie whispered. JJ looked at her with narrowed eyebrows.

    "Hello?" Gavin repeated himself, urging.

    Kiara paused for a moment, taking in a deep breath. "Is Gavin there," she asked, more as a demand than a question.

    "This is Gavin, who's this," he replied, quickly. And for a second, she didn't answer, so he said again, "Hello?"

    "We know what happened on the tarmac," she stated, boldly.

    Straight shooter, Charlie thought, but didn't say it. All she did was widen her eyes a bit.

    Now there was a pause on the other line. Then, he laughed uncomfortably. "Um, who is this?" he tried to play it cool, they could tell.