Chapter 6 - A stray dog

Days after the fight, when the Guild is disbanded and Ozumi's wounds healed enough for her to recover on her own, her eyes finally flutter open.

At first, she struggles to find the ends to her body and to adjust her sight to the light in the room. She can barely keep her eyes open and shivers run on her skin.

As she looks around, she comes to the realization she had never been in that place before. The scenario looked like a hospital room, but not quite. The divider at her left side told her there should be more beds besides hers and if she nudges her head on the pillow enough, she can peer beyond the divider and find a wooden desk with organized and clean medical and office material.

Then, she tries to lift her arm to her face, only for her arm to stop midway and be pushed back to the mattress. Shiny, metal handcuffs keep both her wrists tied to the bed sides. Immediately, she starts to chew the inside of her lip and images from her last moment of consciousness go through her mind. Ozumi sighs.

If the scene was as she remembered, she now can't help the embarrassment from rising to her cheeks. The way she lost control and only to fail her purpose on Yokohama made her bite the inside of mouth so harshly, the metal taste filled her mouth.

However, she has other things to worry about. Like, for example, where the hell is she?

The door creaks open and closes right after, without much sound. In reaction, Ozumi propels herself to her elbows and gets ready to raise the heat of her arms. Dazai's cheery face appears from behind the divider. With a charming smile and small wave, he greets her.

"Oh, Ozumi! You are finally awake!" he strolls to her bedside.

Ozumi relaxes and her head falls back into the pillow, her eyes following his figure.

"Where did you take me?" her voice croaks.

He looks down to her with something that could either be sympathy or hesitance. No one could ever know with Dazai.

"Don't worry about it. No one will hurt you here. As long as you stay put, of course."

His threats are normally said like a melodic song he is humming to. However, Ozumi doesn't react to it.

"It's been a long time, hasn't it, old friend?" his tone becomes more serious, more like when she first met him.

"Are you going to be friendly with me after what I did?" her eyes narrow in anguish, but she isn't looking at him. She stares at the foot of the bed instead. "I thought you would've put a bullet in my head by now."

"We don't do that here." Dazai smiles. "Instead, I want to know how my friend has been doing."

"What kind of mind games are you playing by calling me a friend? Even after I attacked you. How can you call me a friend after that?"

"Ah, well, technically, you attacked Chuuya. Your tentacle friend was the one who attacked me."

"I gave the order."

Dazai sighs and drops his shoulders.

"I'm not playing games with you, Ozumi." Dazai lowers his tone, but immediately returns to his cheery tone. "If you are not ready to talk, I guess I could come back later." he lifts his palm and shrugs.

After he turns to leave, Ozumi calls him again.

"Are these really necessary?" she raises her wrists and bumps the metal of the handcuffs to the metal of the bedside. "You know I could just melt them."

"Seriously? I even got the reinforced metal just for you!"

"That will not make a difference."

"Okay, okay." he throws his hands in defeat. "In a show of good heart and trust, I will uncuff you."