Chapter 9 - To find answers

The day has just begun for Ozumi even though it is almost noon. After forcing herself out of the bed, she drags her feet to the train station. She needs a coffee. And there is only one coffee house in Yokohama that can heal even the most throbbing headaches after long nights at the bar getting intoxicated. Her new routine.

As soon as she steps inside, the owner begins her usual order of black coffee as she sits by the counter, reaching for the tall seat until her feet are no longer touching the floor.

Now, with the cup between her palms, warming them and causing sweat to form in the skin, she finally feels some comfort. She sips and observes the owner working in peaceful silence and the other staff member cleaning the tables. The woman is still young, probably the same age as Ozumi, but she feels closer to the owner's age, who already has snow white hair and wrinkles carved into his skin than crinkled further with his kind smile.

Ozumi's hair has once been as brown and healthy as the woman's. But has been graying over the years. The top layers cover the brown like dust. Ozumi never thought about having it done. Never had the luxury of time to think about such subjects. Even now, with thought popping in her mind, she immediately disregarded it as a waste of time.

The bell rings announcing a new visitor. The owner greets the new annoying presence. Ozumi, who is playing with the ends of her hair, analyzing it, stops her movements. She doesn't look in that direction, keeping her sight concentrated on her cup. Maybe, if she doesn't move or make a sound, he wouldn't notice her. But as her luck goes, he is already walking over to her. Without a word, he sits on the chair next to hers. His legs barely fit on the space between the chair and the counter. He sits straight while Ozumi is leaning over her cup of coffee. She lets the strands of her hair fall on her shoulder, hitting her closed fist on the counter, the dishes tremble and clink with the impact.

"Why are you irritated, Lady Ozumi, I haven't said a word." Dazai taunts her.

Suddenly, her headache becomes even worse.

"Never mention that name again." she warns. "And what do you want?"

Ozumi begins to bite the inside of her lip when Dazai takes his time to answer. His coffee is served. He grabs the handle of the cup and takes one small sip, painfully slow. And still doesn't answer her question. Instead, he turns his head to Ozumi. She lifts her head to him, her bad attitude engraved on her face, while he remains calm.

"I am warning you, Dazai. I'm not in the mood for your games."

His smile grows.

"And were you ever?"

She ignores the comment and takes a sip of her beverage.

"I believe you have been talking to Chuuya since that night."

Ozumi lowers the cup harshly, she would have broken the cup with the pressure her fingers are putting on it. Luckily, the quality of the dishes don't give in so easily. She gives Dazai a side glance and he is still observing her. He's doing it again, analyzing her every move and reaction.

"And what about it?"

"I was just wondering if you mended your relationship."

"If this is leading somewhere, you better get there faster."

"Take it easy, take it easy!" he waves his hand. His face breaks into his usual silly expression. "I'm just messing with you. Although," he reaches into the pocket of his longcoat. "I do have something for you. Here."

Ozumi glances towards the thin envelope in his hand.

"What is it?"

"Open it."