TWO

~The next morning~

Feeling thrilled, I enter the classroom the way I normally do, with a bunch of textbooks in my hands. Not everything, however, seems normal today. As soon as I walk in, the sight of a crowd of students gathering in our class mesmerised me. Even the students from other classes are here, filling the whole class with indistinct chatters. I spot my best friends, Rosalina and Liam, as well in the crowd.

With full of curiosity, I walk over to them. Once Rosalina notices me, she pulls me by my hand to the side to say something.

"Lina(Rosalina), what's going on here?" Eagerly, I ask her before she can say anything, my eyes still locked on the crowd, searching for the person they're huddling around.

"Didn't you see the moon last night? Everyone's freaking out about it this morning"

"No, I didn't-I went to bed early last night. What's wrong with the moon?

"You wouldn't believe it! It turned PURPLE last night! And tons of stars were shooting across the sky!! It looked magical but legit terrifying!" She explains it in such a dramatic way that it makes me wanna laugh a bit.

"Really??! It's a shame I didn't get to see it, but how does it have anything to do with these people?"

"Well, you know Hazel Witt, right?" she whispers as if she's afraid someone might hear her...

"Yeah, I do-"

"SILENT EVERYONE!"

A sharp strong female voice
puts an end to all the chatters.

Pulling my hand again, Lina shoves her way through the crowd with me until we can see the person everyone's assembling around, Hazel Witt, the girl Lina just mentioned, of course.

She is the girl whom everyone in our class calls "the weird one", because she is OBSESSED with astrology and all the witchcraft stuff, and always dresses like a gipsy astrologist whether it's Halloween or not.

Hazel is holding a crystal ball with both of her hands while murmuring something under her breath, her eyes squeezed shut. Abruptly, her eyes reopen as if someone woke her up from a deep sleep. Breathing heavily, her mystery-filled eyes roam around the class full of people. Everyone seems to be dying with curiosity about what is going on as much as I am.

Hazel slowly shakes her head from side to side.

"This can't be happening", she mutters anxiously.

"What do you mean? We've been waiting for your answer all morning! If you know something, just spit it out!"
A guy among the crowd shouts in an impatient tone.

Other students start fidgeting and agreeing with that guy which makes the class filled with chaos again.

"It was a cursed moon!!"
Hazel yells, surprisingly silencing all the noises once again.

"Once the purple moon appears in a town, it means that the town is cursed. The curse only affects the people who haven't turned 18 yet. These people are only supposed to end up with their soulmate no matter who they love," she continues in a heavy tone.

"BOOOO!!That's stupid! I can't believe I wasted my morning just to get a dumb answer from a weirdo like you! Boo!!"
A guy starts booing her and lots of others begin to join him. A few minutes later, the crowd start separating as the teacher walks in.

"Why're there so many students in my class today? Everyone, please return to your seats or your particular classses right now," the teacher commands, making the students go back to their places.

Rosalina gave me a "Let's talk later" look and walked to her seat which is a bit far from mine. And Liam went back to his class since he's not in the same class with us.

Although I eventually sat down on my seat, I still can't get over what Hazel said earlier. What does she mean by we're cursed? Everyone seems to assume she's making it up but what if she's not? I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with anxiety that I have to close my eyes and take a deep breath to calm down.

"Everyone, we have a new transfer student to our class. Please come in, dear"

The teacher announces while looking at someone at the door.

As I hear footsteps of someone walking inside, I quickly glance at the person to see who that is although I don't really care.

But once I see who that is, I wonder if today can get any more surprising...

"Hello, everyone...I'm Brian Ward..."

---------------------