The Offensive

The offensive against the Sakura Empire's separatists had begun. Nagato had attempted to negotiate with her former comrades in order to get them to cease this senseless fighting and reunite peacefully but in the end, Akagi refused to budge.

"I've tried to get through to her and yet she still refuses to listen. Her pride clouds her judgment...is a peaceful solution truly off the table?" Nagato asked, looking at Mutsu.

"I think everything will be okay, Nagato-nee! I know you'll make the right choice!" Mutsu giggled.

Nagato looked out the window and saw the two F-16s sitting on the ramp among the Zeros and Hellcats. Ironic given that the two fighters had once faced each other in battle when the Sakura Empire had left the Azur Lane alliance.

"We may have to call in the Vipers for this one." Nagato said.

Meanwhile at the base headquarters, Dante and Earl were spending some time with Kumano and Taihou. They had decided to go to a place well known for serving cuisine from all over the world.

"So why do they call that plane of yours the Viper?" Kumano asked.

"Some say it looks like the snake and that it also looks like the spaceship from Battlestar Galactica." Earl said.

"All we know is that it made SOS worth it." Dante chuckled.

"SOS!? An SOS isn't good, my Commander." Taihou said.

"Squadron Officer School. By the way, Taihou did you submit your ID10T Form?" Earl asked.

Dante slapped Earl in the back of the head and glared at him, "SOS, They torture you with briefings until your will to live is gone and take five weeks of your short life and flush it down the toilet. Trust me, one second of this shit and you'll want to gouge out both your eyes."

"I'm glad I'm a shipgirl." Kumano laughed, "I'd be annoyed if I had to sit through that crap...we already go through enough briefings."

"Ah before I forget." Taihou smiled, "How does your F-16 fly since the last service, Lieutenant Miller?"

"O-Oh shit." Earl mumbled.

"It actually flies a bit better than when I was first assigned to it four years ago. It feels like it has a little more thrust especially with six Paveways onboard. How did you do that?"

"I put all of my body and soul into it, my Commander." Taihou giggled.

"God help us all." Earl sighed, "I'll pick you up some Febreze after you drop Taihou off."

"Fe-what?" Kumano tilted her head, "Don't you mean baking soda? That's how you clean something. 'Least that's how I wash my clothes."

"Yeah, yeah sure okay."

The next day, the duo arrived on the tarmac. Unicorn and Taihou were hard at work putting the final touches on the F-16s. While Unicorn was dedicated to her work, Taihou was especially obsessed with attention to detail and ensured that the canopy of Dante's Viper was spotless.

"What do you think, my commander?" Taihou asked.

Dante smiled as he passed his hand along the Viper's nose, "It actually looks brand new! Hard to believe this F-16 was built in the 90s."