in my head i do everything right

just a heads up! this chapter contains mentions of alcoholism and domestic violence. please do not read if you're triggered by this or just not comfortable. stay safe, everyone<3

-

The full moon lasted three days.

She was sure to close all the windows, to block any intrusion of their privacy.

Yet Percy kept transforming, again and again.

First, while brushing his teeth in the early rays of the morning. Her sleep had ended abruptly by a sharp thud and the surprised yelp that followed. Her feet had already moved on their own accord, mind a hundred miles away while her body raced ahead.

This time, though, she used a hair dryer.

With all the noise the machine had been making along with Percy's complaints about the heat as his blue scales simmered with water vapor, she counted herself lucky that Gabe hadn't already woken up.

In the blink of an eye, Percy's legs had returned. Her hope, on the other hand, had dwindled to sad embers.

He transformed while drinking, washing his hands, taking a shower.

It wouldn't leave her son alone, this newfound magic.

How could they keep going like this?

How could they keep this charade up, of hiding from Gabriel, of blow drying and making Percy scatter from water like it was poison?

And Percy, well, he wasn't so happy about it, now.

Sure, it was summer. But when he returned to the new school she had yet to find for him, what would he do? Was the mist going to be enough?

Night came, and along with it, the moon. It shone like a lighthouse amidst darkening desire. That was probably the hardest thing about all of this. Keeping the moon from Percy.

The second day, she gave him dishwashing gloves and straws to drink from.

But it wasn't enough.

There were so many things involving water, ordinary things. Simple things. And while dealing with all of those unsolvable problems, Percy wasn't as lucky as yesterday.

He'd been in the bathroom, washing his hands knowing full well what would happen. His transformations weren't as loud as the first few of yesterday, but Sally still knew when he experienced one.

She didn't count on the front door opening, however. Only one person had the key, and sure enough, there stood Gabe, a mad glint in his eyes.

"Honey," Sally said, coming out of the kitchen. "What's wrong?"

"Where is he?" he demanded through clenched teeth.

"What are you—"

Her husband shoved past her, making his way to Percy's room.

Looking at him storm the apartment, realizing what was happening, made her heart thud against her chest, louder than she'd ever thought possible. And it wasn't just because her son was still definitely in his merman form.

"Gabriel!" she ran to him, grasping his arms. "Will you calm down? What's wrong?"

He whipped his head back, sneering. His face was flushed; she wondered if he'd drank anything with his poker-mates, or if something was really, really wrong. It didn't matter. She knew that those options were about the same exact thing.

"The little bastard stole my keys, is what's wrong!"

Little bastard.

Is that what her son was to him?