Prologue

Tree branches swished in the breeze. A brown, young cat stood in a forest, green leaves on all of the trees. She looked around, confused. How did I get here? she wondered as she looked at the sky.

White, fluffy clouds hovered in the air. The sun shone high, its warmth making the young she-cat fill with delight. This must be a dream.. She looked around once more. She didn't recognize the place. The place felt oddly familiar though, but she didn't know why.

A ghostly figure appeared behind her. The brown she-cat turned around, shocked to see it. "Hello, Owlpaw," the figure meowed to her.

"H-hello Redtail.." Owlpaw stuttered. The last time they got a prophecy, it told her mentor, Spottedleaf, that 'Fire will save the clan'; and since then, a kittypet named Rusty joined. He was renamed Firepaw by her Clanmate's leader, Bluestar. It has been three moons since he joined the clan.

"I am here to give you a prophecy." He mewed deeply. Owlpaw sat and listened carefully as he spoke.

"Four will go on a quest, as for they will make something new." Redtail quoted carefully. Owlpaw didn't miss a single word.

"Wait, wait.. What do you mean 'four'? Four what? Four cats? And what is this 'something new'?" She asked. Redtail didn't answer as he was starting to fade away.

"Hey! Don't leave me! You didn't answer my question!" She yelled, but he didn't come back. "Stupid spirit-cats, they don't make any sense with their prophecies," she hissed. Suddenly, something appeared out of the corner of Owlpaw's eye.

She turned around to see an old cat. She had white, thick fur. Her eyes were a soft blue and multiple scars could be seen on her body. "Uhm.. hello?.." Owlpaw quietly asked her.

The old she-cat didn't seem to hear.

"Hello?" Owlpaw echoed.

The white she-cat said nothing. She just kept staring at the sun that was starting to set slowly.

All of a sudden, a yowl of agony split the air.

A brown she-cat with a white back and white spots bounded over to the old she-cat, some of her thick fur covering one of her eyes.

"Shy Fawn! Is there a problem at the camp?" The old she-cat asked Shy Fawn, who was gasping for air.

"They have come!" Shy Fawn finally spat out, collapsing from running so much.

"Them? They weren't supposed to come for another moon! At least, according to the Twolegs." The old she-cat confirmed.

Twolegs? Owlsong thought confusingly as she continued to watch this chaos.

"Moon's Cry, can you please help us flee from the camp?" asked Shy Fawn. "We need your help." Moon's Cry sat in silence for a moment, then responded, rasping. "I will help you; I can't let the cats I grew up with suffer from something the Twolegs are doing."

Shy Fawn rose to her paws and started rushing in the direction of her camp. Moon's Cry stood up, trembling under the weight of her old, fragile bones.

But before she trailed after Shy Fawn, she seemed to stare right at Owlpaw.

She muttered the words, "Be aware of others, don't trust everyone you meet.. and just don't forget.." Her voice trailed off as she looked at the direction Shy Fawn had gone, then turned her head slowly toward the young she-cat.

"Please be aware of your future," She paused for a moment, then continued. "You'll meet more than you will expect.."

"Huh..? W-wah..!" Owlpaw stuttered. She couldn't believe what she just said. "Wait, wait, wait..!"

Too late. Everything was turning black, as dark, twisting roots seemed to surround her. She started falling. Falling, falling, falling..

She woke up with a sudden outburst. She looked outside the entrance of the medicine cat's den. The moon hung high in the sky, the moonlight making everything a very pale white.

Lionheart and Willowpelt stood at the entrance of their camp. Firepaw's loud snoring could be heard from the apprentice's den. The rustling of the trees were caused by the soft wind.

Why did I have that dream..? What are the Twolegs doing to make these cats flee from their camp? Why did dark roots surround me? Why did Moon's Cry stare at me? What does she mean 'my future?' A ton of questions buzzed in her head, but she knew they could never be answered.

Maybe I should go for a walk.. I'll just tell Lionheart and

Willowpelt that I'm going for herbs early.

She got up and creeped around Spottedleaf, careful not to wake her up. She trotted out of the medicine den and halted outside.

A soft breeze rustled in her ears. She stared at Lionheart and Willowpelt.

Remember...

She walked up to them. "Why are you up so early?" Lionheart questioned her. "I'm going to go get herbs early." Owlpaw shifted her paws.

"But why?" Willowpelt studied Owlpaw slowly. "Because I want to make Spottedleaf proud." Owlpaw blurted out. She didn't have time to think about what she was going to say.

"Okay..?" Willowpelt answered.

All of them stood there as an awkward silence filled the air. Owlpaw then slid past the two bigger cats and into the gorse tunnel.

As she walked through the nightly forest, Owlpaw couldn't stop thinking about what Redtail said, what Shy Fawn said, and what that old she-cat, Moon's Cry, had said to her...