Chapter 5

Throughout the rest of the day, Jonah was in two of my other classes, art and math, also lunch. I got home and told Madi everything about him that I could.

"He is so cute!" I said after explaining. We talked throughout the day some too. I have begun to develop a middle school crush on him. Yeah I know, we are really young but I liked his vibe. This has been the first time in a long time I've been, well, happy.

"He sounds really cool," Madi said, eying me. "You really like him that much? I mean... You met him today!"

True, I don't yet know his true colors. He could turn out to be a total jerk who thinks he knows everything and lies all the time. Huh, doubt it. That just wasn't him. I could tell.

"Oh by the way, have you talked to Chelsea lately?" Madi said, bringing me out of my trance.

"Uh, no. Should I have?"

"Oh yeah she was wanting to talk to you earlier about something pretty important."

I stood up and walked out of the room to find Chelsea. I found her in the kitchen cooking chicken noodle soup. Mmmm my favorite.

"Madison said you wanted to talk to me?" I asked, Chelsea turning around from the stove to face me.

"Yes, uh, why don't you sit down."

Sit down? Uh oh something happened.

"Well," Chelsea started. The look on her face showed she was trying to choose her words carefully. "the police station called today. They found some information out about what happened to your mom."

My heart beat faster and I suddenly felt dizzy. Information? Like what? Who killed my mom? What the reasoning was behind all this?

"They think they know who killed your mom."

"I need to go lie down." Was all I said before going back to my room which Madi had gladly left. I flopped on my bed thinking about all the possibilities until I was carried into sleep.
----
"Nikki, wake up. Dinner is ready." Chelsea. I must've been sleeping for a good hour and a half. She walked into my room with a steaming bowl in her hand. I sniffed and sighed in relief. I couldn't face the real world right now. I thanked Chelsea and she sat down on the foot of my bed.

"So. I was wondering when you would like me to take you down there? To the police station? This weekend , maybe?"

Crap it's only Monday. "Yeah how about Saturday morning?'

"Sounds great. Well I guess I will leave you alone now. Eat up. I don't want you to get sick." Chelsea was always looking after me. It made me smile. I fumbled on my bedside table for my phone and texted Olivia.

Me: Have you met the new kid? Jonah?

Liv: Not really. Saw him in the hallway today. He is SO HOT!

Me: Haha yea kinda. He's in three of my classes

Liv: Lucky!!!

Me: I might like him some. Yea I know I met him today blah blah blah. But he's super nice and funny! He's so cool and laid back. We are gonna be best friends. Hey that means you will get to hang out with him!

Liv: No way you like him!? That's so cool! And yessss more Jonah time!

Me: Haha....hey I gotta go Madi wants me to go play some sort of board game with her and Arielle.

Liv: Okay! Don't you be flirting... I mean talking to Jonah!

I could just see her shaking her finger at me. I laughed and switched off my phone. I decided it was best to not tell her about my mom...yet. I went to go play the board game.
----

I woke up the next morning to the annoying beeps of my alarm clock. I stumbled out of bed as always and hopped in the shower. Today just wasn't my day, I knew it the moment I turned on the the shower. My bottle of shampoo had been sitting on the shelf of the tub when it slid off spilling its contents all over the floor of the shower, making it slippery.

I got out of the shower and hurried and got dressed, throwing my hair up in a bun. I walked down the hallway to a disappointed Chelsea standing there. Or should I say stressed out.

"Alight kiddos, looks like you're riding the bus this morning! The tires flat!"

I internally groaned. I hated the bus. The little kids were constantly screaming and the old bus driver didn't do a damn thing about it. I trudged out the front door when I was ready and at 7:10 the bus came squeaking around the corner. It stopped at the curb and I hopped on, sighing. Even though we didn't ride often, I still had my usual seat. I walked towards the back of the bus and I saw someone sitting in my seat, hood up listening to music. I almost told him to move when I realized it was Jonah. I smiled slightly and slid into the seat next to him, startling him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me as if he was the only one who ever rode a bus.

"Uh you know. Flat tire. I live right there." I say pointing to my house as we pull away from my curb. My house...this isn't my house. Oh well.

"Ahh. So you like Fall Out Boy?" He says handing me an earbud.

"No, sorry...." I say, teasing. Yeah, I know I say how much I love Taylor Swift but.... Jonah looks at me with sad eyes. "I don't like them...I love them!"

Jonah grinned up at me. He handed me an earbud and I plugged it in my right ear letting Centuries drown out the little kids screams. This day was starting out fairly badly, but hey? A turn in events could come any time, yah?
~*~*~*~*~*