Chapter Six: Willow At The Bakery

(Peeta's POV)

As always, the next few days pass by quick, and today Katniss and I have decided to have a picnic out in the Meadow with one-week-old Willow.

Since I'm working at the bakery for the first half of the day, I've brought Willow along with me. I'm excited for my coworkers to meet her, but not my boss.

I walk into the bakery with Willow, who's in her carrier, sleeping.

The bag with her supplies is slung across my back.

I set the bag down and unstrap Willow from her carrier and hold her in one hand as I get my apron on.

Luckily it works and I don't drop the baby.

As I go to the counter, I bounce her gently, but she doesn't wake up as I intended.

Jason comes up to me and smiles. "So, I guess this is your newborn daughter?"

I nod. "My pride and joy. Her name is Willow Primrose Mellark."

"A perfect name for a perfect girl," Jason says and pokes her tiny nose.

"Thanks. You should see her eyes though," I tell him.

At that moment, Willow wakes up, but doesn't begin crying.

"Those are your eyes," Jason says in awe.

"Yep," I say.

Our peace is cut off when our boss, Caleb Erison, walks into the room and yells a command at us.

Jason immediately gets back to work, but Willow starts crying.

I put her tiny head to my collarbone and bounce her once again, this time to calm her.

"Sshh. Sshh," I coo to her as Caleb glares at me with his brown eyes.

"What is that creature?" he asks and approaches me, but I back away. I don't want my daughter to get killed by this insane man.

"My newborn daughter. Don't you dare lay a hand on her," I answer, basically growling.

"If you say so," Caleb says and walks back into the back room again.

Thank God he's gone, I think, hoping I didn't say it out loud.

Luckily, I didn't.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

(Katniss's POV)

I'm getting worried about Peeta.

His boss called and said that my daughter is a piece of trash earlier.

It's had me shaken up about actually both Willow and Peeta.

The poor things shouldn't have to experience verbal abuse like that.

I know Peeta's used to it though, because he told me that his mother used to call him worthless and many other cruel names.

My daughter, on the other hand....she's only a week old. She shouldn't be called such a thing as a piece of trash.

It's making me worried about if she'll get bullied at school when she's older, being told that she's.....well, you get the idea.

I just can't have the two people that mean the most to me going through that.

I won't allow it.

Ever.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

What do you think of Caleb and Jason? I think Jason honestly cares for Peeta and Willow, but then comes in Caleb, who forces him to ignore and "resent" the two.

You get it?

I intended for Caleb to be a mix of Gale and Peeta's mother.

But there is something about Caleb familiar to Peeta.....what is it, though?

Read on to find out.

Bye!