Pilot

Her name was Leah. Just a regular girl that grew up in a regular town. Except she wasn't a regular girl.

Leah lost her hearing when she was just barely 10. It happened so fast, it was scary, it was deafening, it was painful.

It was just a simple cold, her mother weeped as she watched her baby girl get rolled into the ER after Leah had collapsed, blood dripping from her ears. Leahs mother felt a fear that only a mother can feel for her child, a fear she didn't wish upon anyone.

A couple years later, leah had recovered nicely, according to the doctors. Yet leah didn't recover her hearing, after she had fully healed she was offered to get a hearing aid, although it only helped her hear partly, her mother thought it'd be best for her future.

Fast forward a few more years, leahs mother, Cassandra, had been diagnosed with stage 2 liver cancer, a rare cancer but unfortunately for Cassandra, the cancer kept spreading. It never really went away, no matter how many surgeries she had.

After leahs mother, Cassandra, had passed, Leah and her baby brother got put in a foster home. It was horrible to say the least. Leah was being abused for being deaf, by the other children and the so called "caretakers" there. And jack, leahs little brother, had to watch his sister get beat for being herself, which completely confused the young boy.

Finally Leah had turned 18, she had left her brother behind, but made sure he was in good hands before she could find somewhere stable for them both. The 18 year old had joined the Marine Corps, having nowhere else to go that would actually take her. How can a deaf person join the marines you ask? Well Leah still didn't fully know the answer to that but she didn't complain. She had her hearing aid so she could hear and apparently that's good enough.

Leah had done several tours within her years of joining the marines, hell she was one of the best on her squad. She learned how to shoot multiple weapons, learned how to hold 3 times her weight, and her favorite part, she learned how to use all kinds of blades, it was her favorite weapon to use.

But the most important part to her was that she had created a family with her team. That's what she considers them and they do her as well. They had given her a home she craved, one she needed.

Through out her years as a soldier she had got scars, mentally, physically, and emotionally but that didn't stop her from doing her duty, if anything it made her push harder. Her team sometimes worried about her well-being and what not but they knew if she needed to be sent home they would. And that day came.

After about 4 and a half years in the marines Leah, the now 22 year old,  found it be best to finally go get her brother who had just barely turned 17 and bring him home. What home you ask? Well one of leahs teammates, Luke, had offered Leah and her brother a place to stay after she had spoke about her situation. Leah denied him many times but finally gave in when he mentioned Jack having a roof over his head.

Jack and Leah had sent letters to each other over the years, jacks about his days in foster care, making sure he was bad enough to not get adopted but good enough so he didn't get punished. Leahs were about her days as a soldier, how she found a hobby for knives and a family in her team, Jack wasn't surprised his sister was the strongest among her team, he knew and saw what she had been through before then, he was proud of his big sister for becoming more then they claimed her to be.

When Leah, Luke, and a few others off her team went home to there loved ones it felt relieving but also foreign. Being away so long, adapting to the gunfire and winds has become there normal for the past years, now it's like it's to quit, like nothing was happening almost but they knew better. Leah had some trouble with the foster care system about taking her brother, shit about her not being qualified to take care of a kid but she put up a fight, something she was good at physically but was verbally this time. After being reunited with her brother, Luke took them to the place they would be staying at, it happened to be a farm, hershel greene was the landowner of most of the property over there. He had built a few homes on his land and rented them out to provide more for his family.