It's a Cold World Without You 8

Soon the laughter died down and Hailey and Ryan stayed looking up at the sky. With her eyes closed and her arms wrapped around her torso, Hailey said, “I miss him.”

She didn't need to specify who it was she missed, but the weakness in her voice shook him. Ryan recollected himself before saying, “I know, Hale, so do I.”

“I can't see his face right now.,” Hailey said, frowning.

“What do you mean?” Ryan asked, hating how upset she sounded but needing to know what she was talking about.

“I mean,”Hailey explained, “That every time I close my eyes since he died, I've seen his face. I haven't slept in over a week, but I didn't mind as long as I could see him. But now I can't, he's not there. Why isn't he there?”

The was a panicky edge to Hailey's voice and Ryan felt the need to soothe her. “It's alright, Hailey, he's always with you, with us. It's probably just the alcohol.”

Hailey nodded numbly and Ryan didn't know what to do so he just wiggled over slightly and took her into his arms. Hailey snuggled into him, as she was now half on top of him, and rested her head in the crook of his neck. They stayed like that for a while; resting in silence, their eyes closed.

Ryan was slowly coming to his senses, his back was cold but his chest was oddly warm. Instinctively, he pulled the warm closer. He sighed contentedly as a delicious smell flooded his nostrils.

His eyes flew open when something on top of him moved, and Hailey's eyes did the the same when something beneath her jerked in surprise, They blinked at each other in confusion before they burst out laughing and rolled away from one another.

Ryan was the first to get to his feet and he offered a hand up to Hailey. She graciously accepted and looked up at the brightening sky once she was standing. Ryan followed her gaze to the cracking dawn and slipped his phone from his pocket. The screen lit up to reveal 4:32 AM in black lettering.

“C'mon, Hails, we should get going. I'll bring you home.” Hailey followed Ryan sleepily as he headed towards his car.

“Isn't it weird how I didn't realize how tired I was until I actually slept for a while?” Hailey asked him.

“Same here, Hails, let's go home now, we both need to catch up on some sleep, 'kay?”

Hailey nodded her head as she settled into the passenger seat, and Ryan took his place behind the wheel. “You sure you're okay to drive?” Hailey looked over at him.

Ryan nodded, “I'm sure.”

Reaching out his hand, Ryan turned on the radio.

After a 30 minute drive, Ryan's car was sitting in Hailey's driveway. “You're coming, too,” Hailey stated firmly.

“Coming where?” Ryan scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion.

“Inside, genius,” Hailey rolled her eyes and Ryan found the gesture somewhat endearing. “I'm not letting you go home at five in the morning when we're both exhausted. So c'mon.” Hailey inclined her head as she stepped out of the car and made he way to the side of the house. Ryan quickly followed suit after cutting the engine and locking up.

Hailey climbed the tree expertly before sliding her window up and slipping into her room soundlessly. Ryan almost did the same, until he tripped on the windowpane and landed with a thud on the floor.

Groaning, he got up, but Hailey's laugh quickly replaced the scowl on his face with a grin.

Hailey grabbed a large shirt off the floor and offered a clean one to Ryan before she skipped her way to the bathroom. She came out clad only in the big, black T-shirt that fell about to mid-thigh, and found Ryan in his boxers and the shirt she'd passed him. She reached up and pulled her long, blond hair into a ponytail before making her way over to the bed.