Taxis

Lucknow, India, 25th December 2019. 5:00pm- a cold evening. I had to attend a dinner party around 50 kilometers away from the hotel I was staying in. I called a cab company and booked a pickup at 7:00pm. About 20 minutes later, I got a text message on my mobile phone with the name of the driver- Abdul kadir, and the car registration number. I took a shower and got dressed up.

Exactly at 7:00pm, I got a call from the driver. "Punctual"-I thought. I went downstairs and greeted Abdul kadir- a man in his late fifties. He was wearing a traditional Indian dress (white kurta and pyjamas). He was sporting grey beard. Abdul told me that the drive would take a little longer than usual, maybe around an hour and a half, because of the foggy weather. That didn't bother me because I had to reach the party by 9:00pm. I checked Abdul's ID and the car number and jumped into the front seat.

Ten minutes into the journey, I noticed that Abdul hadn't switched on the meter.

"Abdul, you haven't switched on the meter yet. How are you going to charge me?" I asked.

"Never mind sir. This trip is free for you.", Abdul responded with a smile.

"What?" I said with a puzzled look.

"Sir, today is my last day at the job, I am retiring tomorrow and will go on pilgrimage after that. This is my last assignment and you are my last passenger. I can't take money from you." Abdul clarified.

"No Abdul. I can't accept that. You give me service and I pay for that. We have met only 10 minutes back. I can't take any favors from you for no reason.", I shot back.

"Sir, I always thought that I would do my last assignment for free. 200 rupees won't really make any difference to the either of us, will it? Please allow this poor Indian man to feel good on his last day at work.", Abdul said.

I couldn't argue any further. I just smiled and thought that simple good things still haven't vanished from this world entirely and sometimes it is these poor people who remind us of these good things. I started chatting with Abdul. He had been driving for 35 years.

"Never once, have I missed a pickup sir. Never once-have I not been on time", Abdul claimed proudly.

I couldn't disbelieve him-he had already won over my heart. But then I noticed his watch- an old, worn-out watch which was not working and still showing 6:45pm. I found it oddly funny that a man who was wearing a dead watch was claiming to be so punctual.

"Your watch is dead Abdul." I said a bit sarcastically.

"Oh! My father gave this watch to me. It doesn't work, but its my lucky charm. So I wear it all the time. But I don't need a watch to be on time", Abdul said with a smile.

We both laughed and indeed Abdul was on time at least in my case despite the dead watch. We continued talking about various other things- his family, my family, about the city and many more. 90 minutes spent with a good man. And we reached my destination sharp at 8:30pm.

I got down from the car, and said to Abdul, "You're a good man Abdul. I know, you wouldn't take money from me, but just as a memory of this drive, I insist you take this watch of mine. Don't say no."

I took my watch off and gave it to Abdul. Abdul resisted initially but accepted my little gift eventually. I thanked Abdul and we said our goodbyes to each other. Abdul left and I walked into the dinner party.

About 10 minutes later, my phone rang. I picked it up.

"Am I speaking with Mr. Utsav?"

"Yes, tell me?"

"Sir, I am calling on behalf of the cab company. Sir, we are so sorry that your pick up hasn't arrived yet. We will arrange for another cab immediately." a lady's voice said from the other side.

"What do you mean? I was picked up by your driver sharp on time and in fact, I have reached my destination now." I replied.

"Who picked you up sir?" the lady asked after a pause.

"Abdul Kadir, the driver who was supposed to pick me up. I had checked his ID and the car registration number before boarding." I said.

"Sir, you must have been confused. Somebody else may have picked you up. Abdul Kadir died in a road accident at around 6:45pm today. 15 minutes before your pick up time. He was on his way to pick you up when he met with the accident. We have been informed about his death just now." The lady said.

I froze. I understood why Abdul didn't take money from me. It was simply because he didn't need any. Why was his watch dead- because his time stopped at 6:45. Yet, he did his duty one last time. And he was on time as he had claimed- even on his last assignment. I started sweating even in the December cold. I looked at my wrist- my watch was still there. Abdul didn't need my watch either!